Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch Empty
PostSubject: Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch   Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 9:37 pm

About Feral Cats
A feral cat is not socialized to humans.
Either she was born outside and never lived with humans, or she is a companion cat who has strayed from home and over time has become unsocialized to humans.

Feral cats should not be taken to animal control pounds and shelters.
Feral cats’ needs are not met by the current animal control and shelter system. Feral cats live outside, but are killed in shelters. Even no-kill shelters are not able to place feral cats in homes

Feral kittens can be adopted.
Feral kittens can often be adopted into homes, but they must be socialized at an early age. This is a critical window, and if they aren’t handled in time, they will remain feral and therefore unadoptable.

Feral cats can have the same lifespan as companion cats.
And they are just as healthy, too. The incidence of disease in feral cats is just as low as in companion cats. They live healthy, natural lives on their own, content in their outdoor home.

Humans are the cause of wildlife depletion.
Studies show that the overwhelming cause of wildlife depletion is destruction of natural habitat due to man-made structures, chemical pollution, pesticides, and drought — not feral cats.

“Catch and kill” doesn’t work.
It is an endless, cruel cycle and is extremely costly to taxpayers. Cats choose to reside in locations for a reason: there is a food source (intended or not) and shelter. When cats are removed from a location, survivors breed to capacity or new cats move in. This “vacuum effect” is well documented.

Trap-Neuter-Return does work.
No more kittens. Their numbers gradually go down and their lives are improved. The behaviors and stresses associated with mating, such as yowling or fighting, stop. The cats are also vaccinated. This program creates a safety net for both the cats and the community.

(This is from a no-kill cat shelter, I know many of us have had Alley Cats cross our paths, I had one actually for 6 years that ate my food, let me pet him, and sprayed my door, I was his property. But as goes with the breed, he met his demise when crossing a busy street. I do have to say he lived a long, active life, and brought many years of joy to our home).
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch   Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:35 am

I had a feral cat whom we used to feed, look after and sometimes let in the house. We live out in the countryside and had a terrible problem with mice, so we encouraged the cat into our area. Once the mice were gone, he hung around for a while then moved on.
Back to top Go down
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch   Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:43 am

I'm not sure that it is worth the time and effort to try to train a feral cat to come in to live with you. I'd make sure they have food and make good friends with them, but I think that if you want a housemate you should go to a pound and get a cat that can be raised as a house cat from the start. I think it will make for a happier you and a happier cat.

And if you feed an outside cat, you will be sure to have a good friend in the neighborhood!
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch   Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 9:36 pm

I had once caught and tamed a litter of feral kittens. When I first handled them, I'd put on thick gloves because they scratched like crazy! But they were young enough to adjust, learn to trust humans and enjoy human company. I was able to pet them, pick them up, cuddle - anything a regular companion cat would allow.
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

PostSubject: Re: Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch   Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 9:59 pm

Wow. I haven't been around any kittens, just the old Tom Cat. He was my first and so far last experience with a Ferrel Cat. He was a true 'free' spirit, and one who would not be controled, he was the one in total control. Was a very interesting experience ! I think the kitties would be a real trip.
Back to top Go down
sanju123
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch   Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 3:42 am

There had been stances where we befriended feral cats, but we never tried them to bring them indoors. They used to be in the yard, we used to feed them and they used to scratch doors sometimes so that they could enter the house, but you see we refrained due to several reasons.
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

PostSubject: Re: Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch   Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 9:14 am

sanju123 wrote:
There had been stances where we befriended feral cats, but we never tried them to bring them indoors. They used to be in the yard, we used to feed them and they used to scratch doors sometimes so that they could enter the house, but you see we refrained due to several reasons.

LOL my first experience with a ferrel cat was a real eye opener. My lovely big man, scratched on the door and naturally I let him, big mistake #1. He was a sprayer, and very quick at it I might add. I went into the kitchen, to get him some water to drink by the time I got back out my couch, my pillows on the couch and my big chair had been sprayed. I couldn't get him out fast enough. From that time forward he sprayed my door several times a month. I ended up having to get rid of all the soft furniture, I never could get the smell to go away. I ended up having to use enzyme cleaner on the door to keep the smell somewhat subdue. But in the summer when it was hot --- ick ! I suppose had I stopped feeding him he would have moved on down the road, but I was young.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch   Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alley Cats ~ The cats that hang around but don't cuddle on the couch
Page 1 of 1