Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Christmas trees

Go down 
+5
bubble
Orrymain
RustyK
Topdog
aclowers
9 posters
AuthorMessage
aclowers
I am a
I am a
aclowers

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Christmas trees Empty
PostSubject: Christmas trees   Christmas trees Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 12:40 pm

Well I know we have a couple of months left to go before Christmas, but the thought of it approaching made me think of Christmas trees. We have always been limited as to the size of the tree and the location of decorations, either because of toddlers or cats. Well, finally our kids have grown up enough not to pull down the Christmas tree.

But, the past two Christmases our cats pulled the tree down within 24-48 hours of putting it up. This past year, we had an idea. Just before we put the tree up, we went out and bought the cat's their Christmas. We went to Fred's and bought a 3 layer kitty condo for 60 bucks. They absolutely loved it. They completely left the tree alone.

I'm not sure what we will do about this Christmas as the new has worn of their present from last year and we have a new cat, as well. As fast as she moves I'm not sure a Christmas tree will last an hour with her, much less a whole day.
Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Christmas trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas trees   Christmas trees Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 1:04 pm

lol! With dogs all we have to worry about is the lifting of the legs, not sure I want to deal with the taking of a Christmas tree down.

Have you continued a squirt bottle of water to advise them it isn't what is right ?? Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
aclowers
I am a
I am a
aclowers

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Christmas trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas trees   Christmas trees Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 12:54 pm

Topdog wrote:
lol! With dogs all we have to worry about is the lifting of the legs,
Shocked Ha...ha..thanks for the image. Wink

Topdog wrote:
not sure I want to deal with the taking of a Christmas tree down. Have you continued a squirt bottle of water to advise them it isn't what is right ?? Just a thought.
That is a good idea, it helped a lot when they were jumping on the table and counters. But, with a Christmas tree I might have to borrow a guard dog for bedtime. Laughing
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Christmas trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas trees   Christmas trees Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 11:01 pm

We have been putting up a Nativity set instead of a Christmas tree. Our cats still had to sniff and investigate it, but they did not mess with it much. I know that a Christmas tree is irresistibly attractive for cats... If we decide to put one up, I'll have to think of how to make it out of their reach. Probably getting a small one and putting it up on a desk might work.
Back to top Go down
Orrymain
I am a
I am a
Orrymain

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Christmas trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas trees   Christmas trees Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:54 pm

Never had cats to worry about with this where it was a problem. We did have a beautiful shepherd-collie who had a tail that loved to smack the tree down, though. No way of avoiding that one! You could try one of those spray things that came out this year. Put it so that it will spray the cat if they come close.
Back to top Go down
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Christmas trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas trees   Christmas trees Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 3:04 am

I used the water bottle method to keep the cats away from the tree. Our cat just tends to lay underneath it for some reason, buyt we do have to be careful she does not pull it down.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Christmas trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas trees   Christmas trees Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:40 am

Same here--- I can't wait until we put ours up with 2 new kittens! Last year we had to tie it up... It was crazy! We tied it around the middle of the tree (on the inside branches) and then put a nail in the wall and tied the tie to it. Never came down after we tied it.

If you can do this- I would recommend it. You could not see the tie unless you knew where to look!
Back to top Go down
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Christmas trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas trees   Christmas trees Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:55 pm

I don't know if we are even going to have a tree this year because of the cats. One year they climbed up the tree and knocked it over.
Back to top Go down
elvenrunelord
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Christmas trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas trees   Christmas trees Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 8:28 pm

None of my cats have ever bother my trees except to swat at the tinsle that hangs down from the lower branches. it amuses the cats and the tree doesn't care. lol
Back to top Go down
dreamr802
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Christmas trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas trees   Christmas trees Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 9:50 pm

The only problem we have with our dog is that she likes to eat the popcorn we string, especially her first xmas. We sprayed the tree with the stuff that makes dogs not want to eat it. It's not unhealthy but it tastes bad to them...But cats are another problem because they climb all over the place. Ummmm...maybe try to find a way to stabilize the tree more on the bottom rather than just the stand?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Christmas trees Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas trees   Christmas trees Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Christmas trees
Page 1 of 1