Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Halloween warning for dog owners

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Halloween warning for dog owners Empty
PostSubject: Halloween warning for dog owners   Halloween warning for dog owners Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 9:45 pm

I have heard this on the radio, they were talking about how Halloween masks and costumes can be confusing and frightening to dogs. I suppose it makes sense, how a doggie is supposed to understand why people suddenly decided to dress scary? Does your dog get scared?
Back to top Go down
Froix
I am a
I am a
Froix

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Halloween warning for dog owners   Halloween warning for dog owners Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 6:47 pm

That makes sense and the warning also works both ways. Kids specially dressed in costumes should be careful of visiting houses whose dogs are unattended.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Halloween warning for dog owners   Halloween warning for dog owners Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 2:06 am

Yes, trick-or-treaters! I have thought of that, too. When they come to a house dressed up in costumes, the dog has double reason to worry and possibly attack: one, they are strangers, two, they look very unusual and therefore threatening. It is a good idea to keep dogs inside for Halloween.
Back to top Go down
dreamr802
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Halloween warning for dog owners   Halloween warning for dog owners Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 11:57 am

Yeah that is totally understandable. My dog gets dressed up and we bring her with us. As long as she is with us, she is usually good and she doesn't bark...but if we left her home and people were coming to our house she would be mad...I think it has a lot to do with territory.
Back to top Go down
Froix
I am a
I am a
Froix

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Halloween warning for dog owners   Halloween warning for dog owners Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 7:42 am

Just saw this interesting article. Six tips for pet safety on Halloween.

Quote :
1. Shelter: Provide a safe place indoors away from commotion and mischief. Run a fan or radio to drown out the doorbell.

2. Exercise: Take the dog out for a brisk walk to burn off some energy before it gets dark and the trick-or-treaters start knocking on your door.

They sound reasonable. Check the link for the rest of the tips on Tags, Decorations, Food and Costumes.

Link to Article
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Halloween warning for dog owners   Halloween warning for dog owners Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Halloween warning for dog owners
Page 1 of 1