Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners Empty
PostSubject: Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners   Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 9:27 pm

Natural disasters and emergencies happen quickly and often times we are not fully prepared. Being properly equipped to meet the needs of your family – and pet(s) – when an emergency does strike is crucial.

Think ahead and take steps now to be “pet prepared”. You’ll feel better knowing you’ve planned for what to do before, during and after a major storm or unexpected emergency.

Before a disaster strikes:

Keep your pets vaccinations current and your paperwork easily accessible. Pet shelters may require proof of vaccines.
Be sure to keep a collar with proper identification and rabies tag on your pet.
Spay or neuter your pet so it won't become pregnant or impregnate other animals if becomes lost in an emergency.
Research and make a list of potential refuges for your pet including shelters, veterinary clinics, friends and relatives.
Make a list of pet friendly hotels/motels (visit www.petswelcome.com)
Pet owners should keep an emergency pet supply kit on hand at all times. Use a waterproof, easily transportable container. The kit should include:

A sturdy, comfortable carrier large enough to accommodate each pet for several days. Be sure your pet can stand up and turn around in the carrier.
At least a 3-5 day supply of food and water, including bowls and a manual can opener if you pet(s) eat canned food.
Blankets or towels to keep your pet comfortable and warm.
Rabies certificate with current license number.
Tattoo number or microchip number.
Toys and treats.
A waterproof container with a first aid kit, medications, medical records, and specific care instructions.
Cat litter and litter box.
Cleaning supplies: news papers, plastic bags, disinfectant, paper towels, etc.
A leash or harness.
Current photos and descriptions of your pets in the event you are separated (be sure you are in at least one picture with your pet to help prove ownership).
A current list of emergency contact numbers including your vet, animal shelters, friends and relatives
Be sure to properly identify all belongings with a permanent marker.
During a disaster:

Bring your pets inside well in advance of a storm and reassure them.
Never leave a pet chained outside.
Pets can become frightened by unfamiliar noises. Keeping your pet within sight when possible will reassure him.
Never tranquilize your pets. It will inhibit their natural survival instincts needed to escape potential danger.
Have your pet emergency kit at hand.
After a disaster:

Help re-orient your pets to their home by walking them on a leash. They may be confused or lost if landmarks and familiar scents are altered.
Be on the look out for downed power lines, debris and reptiles brought in with high water that could pose danger.
Contact your local animal control office if a pet is missing to find out where lost animals can be recovered. Bring a recent picture of your pet, tattoo number or microchip number.
Don't allow your pet to drink water or eat food that may have been contaminated.
Animals can become aggressive or defensive after a disaster. Monitor their behavior and contact your veterinarian with questions if it does not subside.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

PostSubject: After a disaster   Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 9:28 pm

Pet Safety in the Aftermath

In the days and weeks that follow a natural disaster displaced people and companion animals face many dangers. In Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama extreme flooding has created hazardous, life-threatening situations for helpless strays and displaced pets.

Entire communities have disappeared from these flood-ravaged areas. Homes, landmarks and familiar scents that animals use to find their way home or recognize safe areas have simply vanished. This causes disorientation, panic and stress and leads dogs and cats seeking refuge into hazardous situations.

Floodwaters contaminated with waste and bacteria cause intestinal parasites and gastroenteritis. Most forms of water borne bacteria are transmittable to both animals and humans resulting in widespread infection.

Animals trying to swim in floodwaters can quickly become exhausted and drown.

Floating hazards such as building materials, tree limbs and street signs can cause severe injury to animals and result in infections.

Downed power lines and the extention of water hazards expand the territories of alligators and snakes that pose a deadly threat to dogs and cats.

In addition to water supplies, food sources become contaminated as well. Displaced dogs and cats are frightened, lost, thirsty and very hungry and do not understand that they should steer clear of standing water and any food they may find.

Dr. Eve Ognibene, D.V.M
Back to top Go down
sanju123
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners   Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 11:51 pm

This all sound so scary. Generally people think of humans in such grim disastrous. They fail to realize that poor speechless creature also go through turmoil when such mis-haps occur.
Back to top Go down
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners   Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:22 am

I agree. I think having an essential emergency kit for their animals is something people do not think of, but for obvious reasons, put their needs first. Our pets must also feel the trauma of being evacuated and moved from a flood damaged area, so we need to make it as easy as possible for them too.
Back to top Go down
elvenrunelord
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners   Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:37 pm

While I agree with all of the advice you have here, we as a nation are barely able to handle the humans involved in the recent disasters we have encountered. I'm sorry to say that my pet will probably be the last thing on my mind if a huge disaster comes my way. I bring my dog inside when we have a thunder storm and treat him the best I can, but I'm more concerned about the human members of my family.
If this sounds cruel, I'm sorry. i see it as reasonable and necessary.
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

PostSubject: Re: Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners   Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 12:51 pm

Family always comes first in an emergency, and I think the dear Lord that I personally have never had to be faced with this situation. While it is easy to sit on the outside and say what should be done, I know in the face of an emergency priorities take control and one has to first ensure that their own families are taken care of. Which is what many have faced in Texas and the South part of the USA in the last 3 years. It really is a double edged sword. In our case, I would do as much as humanly possible to get all concerned to safety.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners   Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Natural Disaster & Emergency Tips for Pet Owners
Page 1 of 1