Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Big Dogs In Small Apartments

Go down 
+3
shinningstar
mandiees
skatss
7 posters
AuthorMessage
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Big Dogs In Small Apartments Empty
PostSubject: Big Dogs In Small Apartments   Big Dogs In Small Apartments Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 6:49 pm

My friend wants to get a large dogs. He says that since he is tall he doesn't want to walk a small dog but one that looks big, like him. The problem is that my friend lives in a three room apartment and is gone most of the day. I told him that I didn't think it would be fair to lock a large dog in a small apartment all day without any room for the dog to run and play. He said I was nuts and that he would play with the dog when he gets home. But still, a large dog with no place to run stuck in a small apartment seems cruel. What do you all think?
Back to top Go down
mandiees
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 171

PostSubject: Re: Big Dogs In Small Apartments   Big Dogs In Small Apartments Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 7:27 pm

I live in a small place and have three large dogs that live with me. We go out for walks a lot and that seems to satisfy their need for exercise. Some large breed dogs do not require much exercise, so he should make sure he is going with a dog like that, otherwise you are right, they will probably go crazy.
Back to top Go down
shinningstar
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: Big Dogs In Small Apartments   Big Dogs In Small Apartments Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 2:45 am

I think it's not a good idea to have a pet dog in a small place. It's very important for a dog to move freely where he/she can run and play around. I suggested to buy a chihua hua breed of dog. It looks cute and cool pet.
Back to top Go down
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Big Dogs In Small Apartments   Big Dogs In Small Apartments Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 4:04 am

I agree with you. Its not really fair on the animal to be couped up all day in a small apartment. A large dog needs plenty of regular exercise and it could also create some anxiety problems for the dog itself.
Back to top Go down
ken7700
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Big Dogs In Small Apartments   Big Dogs In Small Apartments Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 9:58 am

Large dogs in an apartment is something I have done and do not advise it. It just makes it hard on family members and the dogs as well.
Back to top Go down
mandiees
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 171

PostSubject: Re: Big Dogs In Small Apartments   Big Dogs In Small Apartments Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 1:10 pm

I am really surprised by all of the comments telling you not to go with a larger dog. I really see it as a manageable way to live, as long as you are willing to get the dog out of the house a few times a day for recreation and exercise.
Back to top Go down
LissyS
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Big Dogs In Small Apartments   Big Dogs In Small Apartments Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 11:00 pm

mandiees wrote:
I am really surprised by all of the comments telling you not to go with a larger dog. I really see it as a manageable way to live, as long as you are willing to get the dog out of the house a few times a day for recreation and exercise.

Well, in the starter post it was stated that the guy who wants to get a large dog is gone all day, so the dog will be locked up alone in the apartment. So in his situation, it's probably not a good idea. If the owner can and is willing to walk the dog twice a day, it is of course a different story.
Back to top Go down
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Big Dogs In Small Apartments   Big Dogs In Small Apartments Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 11:40 am

I think it depends a lot on your friends lifestyle. If they are going to walk the dogs regularly then I see nothing wrong with it. I do think it is better to have them in a place with a yard if at all possible so that they can run freely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Dogs In Small Apartments   Big Dogs In Small Apartments Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Big Dogs In Small Apartments
Page 1 of 1