Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Do you think it is true about small breeds?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
wildwoman
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Do you think it is true about small breeds? Empty
PostSubject: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 12:00 pm

I have heard that small breeds of dogs tend to get more temperamental over time and the older they get the meaner? I have had a mix of large and small breed dogs over my live,and must say it is about 50/50. It is not just the size but the breed as well?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 5:10 pm

I agree with this as well. We must all understand though that they have grumpy spells just as we do when we age.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DianaR
I am a
I am a
DianaR

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 11:14 am

I wonder if the way a breed becomes small,. has anything to do with temperament?

I have always thought that small dogs that were derived from a breed that is normally larger had problems because their brains weren't allowed enough room in those tiny skulls.

This isn't based on any scientific fact. It's just a thought I have had more than once.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
manojjonam10
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 8:52 pm

Yes, it is indeed true. I think that the dogs character changes significantly depending on their breed. And in most cases it also depends on the age of the pet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orrymain
I am a
I am a
Orrymain

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 7:55 pm

I've had dogs my entire life -- small dogs like beagles, medium dogs like black labs, and big dogs like golden retrievers and shepherds, but honestly, I've never noticed them becoming grumpier or more temperamental. I honestly haven't, not with one another or with me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigger
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 3:52 pm

I've never noticed smaller dogs getting meaner as they age, and I've been around dogs all my life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:24 pm

I don't think that it is more common in smaller dogs. Maybe, some specific breeds, but I think any dog stands the same chance of becoming meaner. Simply, because with age comes joint pain, decreased smelling ability, poor sight and hear as well. Which would probably make me a bit mean too :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 8:07 am

In my experience, small dogs do tend to get crabby as they get older. This is the first large dog I have had and she is still only young. I will update my opinions on this as she matures. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
andasay
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 2:20 pm

I am not sure that it is. I have heard of bigger dogs getting grumpy with age, it happens to the best of us!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 8:08 am

I've noticed that dogs do get a little grumpier as they age but I don't know if it's worse with smaller dogs.

When I'm with an older dog I don't go out of my way to play with it. I will pet it and let it nap near my legs. If dogs are like us then I would say that as they get older they don't want to be bothered as much. I know I'm like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wildwoman
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 9:08 pm

Well with the shiatsu( spelling?) we have had it seems they become less loving and more easily annoyed when they age. Of course it could be the other animals in the house as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:01 pm

We have a miniature schnautzer for many years now and she is the sweetest dog. I can't agree that smaller breeds become meaner as they get older.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HardworkinMom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 6:44 am

I grew up around dogs. This is the first time I have ever heard of the-smaller-the-breed-the-more-temperamental.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LissyS
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:02 am

We used to laugh about small dogs being meaner because all the meanness is concentrated in such a small body, while larger breeds have it all "spread out"! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you think it is true about small breeds?   Do you think it is true about small breeds? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you think it is true about small breeds?
Page 1 of 1