Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Not really pets but....

Go down 
+6
sanju123
LissyS
Topdog
mandiees
skatss
lilymom24
10 posters
AuthorMessage
lilymom24
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Not really pets but.... Empty
PostSubject: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 11:52 am

how about wild birds? I have a birdfeeder on a tree in our front yard and the same birds come every day. I have a couple of cardinals, woodpeckers, a blue jay or two, some mourning doves, finches, and chickadees. They're not tame enough for us to touch but we do find them very entertaining to watch.
Back to top Go down
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 6:52 pm

I would think that they would be entertaining to watch and be near. You might not consider them pets because they don't live in your home but you do take care of them in a way. Bird feeders are really nice.
Back to top Go down
mandiees
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 5:19 pm

I have always liked bird watching. We have this crazy variety of green parrot that was somehow released into the wild in San Diego that is just amazing to watch. We also get tons of hummingbirds in our area Smile
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 8:46 pm

We have a big Koi pond in our yard, and the water over the water fall brings in the hummingbirds and dragon flies.

We have several hummingbirds we have seen year after year, and they actually do sit long enough above us in our big tree, for us to see them 'still'. But they are very agressive with other birds, if 'their' water is being used by others.

The dragon flies we have are very colorful. We have light blue, dark blue, bright red and fluorescent orange ones that fly around.

I love our natural life outside as well as our managerie of puppies.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
LissyS
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 10:57 pm

Topdog wrote:
We have several hummingbirds we have seen year after year, and they actually do sit long enough above us in our big tree, for us to see them 'still'. But they are very agressive with other birds, if 'their' water is being used by others.

Wow, I did not know that hummingbirds can be aggressive! They are so small... Our friends have a hummingbird feeder in their yard, we just went to visit them today and watched a nummingbird come and drink out of it. She was so cute, I would never think that this tiny creature can actually chase away other birds.
Back to top Go down
sanju123
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 12:15 pm

It is a pleasure to have these birds around your house. We also have lot of plantation around our house and the we have frequent feathered visitors. We have lot of parrots visiting our area regularly. Though the bird droppings are sometimes a thing of botheration, otherwise such guests are welcome.
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 2:04 pm

I found an article about a woman who actually has humingbirds that came up and drank from her hand. She lives in a humingbird flight path. Thought you might enjoy these.

Not really pets but.... Hummin10

Not really pets but.... Hummin11

This is a nest with a couple of babies in it !

Not really pets but.... Babyhu10
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 7:21 am

WE have lots of insects and things in our garden which always attract different sorts of birds throughout the year. I am not very good at wild bird names, but I do enjoy watching them fluttering around the garden.
Back to top Go down
lizd
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: Re: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 7:33 am

I never thought I'd enjoy watching the wild birds or be able to tell which was which by their whistles. Well, after living in the house I've been at for two years, I have three cardinals, six blue jays, crows, finches and what I think are two doves. They are all amazing to watch.
Back to top Go down
sanju123
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 91

PostSubject: Re: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 8:24 am

Birds at times might be uninvited guests but they are harmless thus welcome. The other day it they were showing on Discovery channel that a lady used to spread some seeds for ducks which she had in her pond. Slowly she started having more ducks from the surrounding areas. Finally she used to have more than thousand visitors every day. The couple had to buy feed in bulk to feed those ducks. The whole episode is quite interesting.
Back to top Go down
antkmom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 7:11 pm

We have a birdhouse in our front yard that my son made and my daughter painted and decorated. Every year we have a bird that comes and makes a nest and lays eggs in there. We love watching and seeing the mom come and then when the babies are born.
Back to top Go down
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109

PostSubject: Re: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 11:33 am

We have a large water tank in our garden and we place our old rice on top of the tank for the birds. They sure seem to love to eat the rice grains!
Back to top Go down
lilymom24
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 2:10 pm

TopDog,
Those pics are awesome. I don't think I have ever seen so many hummingbirds hovering around a person. That is so neat. We had one hummingbird hanging around our flowers on the porch this summer but we usually don't have any so it was a real treat.
Back to top Go down
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109

PostSubject: Re: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 2:39 am

Those really are beautiful hummingbirds. We unfortunately do not have any in the area where we live. We do have plenty of other types of birds though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not really pets but....   Not really pets but.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not really pets but....
Page 1 of 1