Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

What are your Dog Names

Go down 
+19
jimmys devoted
giay
Froix
dreamr802
Orrymain
infernodude
bubble
tinker bell
ken7700
elvenrunelord
Simplyme
SpoiledAngel
shruti
RastaKid
skatss
mandiees
KrisNY
shinningstar
Topdog
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

What are your Dog Names Empty
PostSubject: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 8:07 pm

Dog names are important. Dog names should be simple and consist of no more than two sylables. The shorter the name of your dog, the easier it is for him to learn and respond.
They should be of a neutral tone, not too high pitched, one that you can get the point across whether you are repremanding or reinforcing their behavior. This tends to be a bit more difficult rule to follow. We know that a majority of the time we love and cherish our dogs, but on those few occassions where your pet needs to be repremanded a sweet, high tone last sylable name could further confuse your pet. But this can overcome by making your full command stern and direct.
Dog names should fit your dogs personality or the personality which you wish your dog to have. There is a school of thought, and I personally do agree with it, not to use the dogs name in a reprimand, as the sound of his name will become associated with negatives, and it is harder for him to respond to positives.

Key to get the dogs attention first with a stern "no". Or a command such as 'drop' to get him to attend. But that is in the training of a pet, which I am sure other members will be helpful in posting about.

We have 4:

Melbourne
Reno
Bear
Caesar
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
shinningstar
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 1:07 am

I have 7 dogs at home. There are 3 female dogs namely, Britney, Genki and Rosi. The names of my male dogs are Whity, Blacky, Browny and Joko. My dogs are well-trained compared to my neighbor's dog .
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:20 pm

We have 1 dog now-- Her name is Carmen- She was named before we got her. Actually when we bought the house- the owners asked if she could stay as they were moving to Florida.

I call her Carmie- She is a pure bred Boxer... very lovable to us- and very protective.
Back to top Go down
mandiees
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 171

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 3:09 pm

We have Tucker, an American Bulldog, and Guapo, a Pit Bull. We also have a doggie roomie named Biz that is a Staffy.
Back to top Go down
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 12:59 pm

I never had a dog as a pet but my dad had a dog when he was in his early teens right up until his late twenties and the dog's name was Hector. Hector and my dad really loved each other.
Back to top Go down
RastaKid
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-09-01

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 10:22 am

I have one dog.a puppy called Bronx.My other dog that ran away was called Muffy.
Back to top Go down
shruti
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 12:24 pm

Nice names of your dogs and i agree with you shorter the name easy to call.My dog name is pop.
Back to top Go down
SpoiledAngel
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-09-01

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 12:33 am

We have two chihuahuas which are named Lilly and Angel
Back to top Go down
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:23 pm

I have 2 dogs as well one who is a German/Australian Shepherd mix her name is Pandora and our other dog is a Chinese crested hairy hairless named Zoey.
Back to top Go down
elvenrunelord
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 8:16 pm

I have two dogs. Ones name is Dog, the others name is Boyd. I know they are simple but I'm OK with them and so are the dogs.
Back to top Go down
ken7700
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 10:00 am

I have four German Shepherds that I just adore and their names are Thor, Digger, Faye, and Tara all big babies.
Back to top Go down
tinker bell
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-09-28

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 7:01 pm

we have a labrador retriever named Summer, it's due to her coloring.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 4:49 am

The dog I have now is called Rolo

Dogs I have had before is a female named chica, and she had two pups which we re homed, and called them Jasper and Ollie.

My sister has called her male dog Trev!!!
Back to top Go down
infernodude
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-10-10

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 7:18 am

I only got a dog and it's called "Dexter". I admit, i took the name from the show.
Back to top Go down
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 12:13 pm

I have a name for my dog and it's Rusty but I usually call it baby or sweeties or something like that. No mater what I call him he always comes a running to me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Orrymain
I am a
I am a
Orrymain

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:57 pm

elvenrunelord wrote:
I have two dogs. Ones name is Dog, the others name is Boyd. I know they are simple but I'm OK with them and so are the dogs.

I love that. On Petticoat Junction, the dog's name was Dog. I still get TV trivia questions with people wanting to know the dog's name on the show. Dog, I tell them.
Back to top Go down
Orrymain
I am a
I am a
Orrymain

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:00 am

tinker bell wrote:
we have a labrador retriever named Summer, it's due to her coloring.... Very Happy

My sister had a dog named Summer once -- beautiful black girl. She was adorable. No one was scared of her. She also had an Australian shepherd named Free -- big burly dog. They were best friends. The funny thing was, no one was afraid of Summer, and everyone was afraid of Free. However, the only thing Free would do was lick you to death; Summer? She'd kill ya!
Back to top Go down
Orrymain
I am a
I am a
Orrymain

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:08 am

I don't want to leave anyone out, soooo....

Tammy, my first beagle
Solomon, our shepherd-collie
Piccolo, beautiful lab that I'll never forgive the SPCA for lying to me about (they gave me his wrong age and he died -- long story, but allll their fault -- this was decades ago, when things weren't quite as regulated as they are now)
Katie, my second beagle
Tina, Katie's puppy, a golden retriever
Stanley, a chow/lab/retrieve mix (he adopted me)
Cassie, black lab
Tessa, shepherd/lab/heeler mix (she herds people, not to mention Cassie)
Back to top Go down
dreamr802
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 9:45 pm

My first dog was named Sophie. And the dog that I have right now is Casey. Casey is VERY well trained compared to Sophie. HAHA. I think we learned after the first one :-D My boyfriend's dog's name is Ginger. I love that name. I do want a new puppy because I no longer live with my family.
Back to top Go down
Froix
I am a
I am a
Froix

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 7:52 am

Our last dog was named Argos after the great greek Odysseus' faithful dog. They haven't decided yet on a name for our new dog at home. I'm pushing for Shiva.
Back to top Go down
giay
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 6:36 am

PIOLO, he was named after a famous local celebrity Smile He will turn 5 in November 22.
Back to top Go down
jimmys devoted
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: We are very strange with our babies names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 11:00 pm

Our basset is Fartfignugen
Flower is our kelpie pointer mix
Sugarbooger is our Curr
General
shadow
boombear
badger
princess peach

each knows their name and their nick names!
they aer very very smart and its wonderful!

julie
Back to top Go down
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 9:31 pm

We have two dogs in our family. Our smaller dog is called Cookie and the other one is called Yo Yo.
Back to top Go down
melodious
I am a
I am a
melodious

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 9:02 pm

The cutie in my avatar is Dagmar. He's a boy with a girl's name - thanks to my ex and a mistake on a baby-name website when he was a new puppy - but he likes his name just fine, and at 85 pounds no one teases him about having a girl's name!
Back to top Go down
http://www.artistic-lemonade.com
andasay
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 3:27 am

My beutiful german shepherd is called Leila. I don't know why we chose it. I suppose it seemed to just suit her well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are your Dog Names   What are your Dog Names Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are your Dog Names
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next