Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Food and water bowl problems

Go down 
+6
bubble
jimmys devoted
RustyK
Topdog
Froix
Brandbla8
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Food and water bowl problems Empty
PostSubject: Food and water bowl problems   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 1:23 pm

My dog seems to knock over his food and water bowl all the time. What kind of bowls can we get that he will not be able to knock over?
Back to top Go down
Froix
I am a
I am a
Froix

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Food and water bowl problems   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 6:37 pm

I'd suggest training the dog not to but if that's not an option search for spill proof dog bowls. I'm seeing a bunch of them mostly advertised for traveling, some are real expensive but you might find cheaper ones. Go for the heavier ones.
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Food and water bowl problems   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 7:11 pm

If you look around at pet stores, you will be able to find weighted bowls. Also, a non-skid mat is helpful, those are the kind that are used in shelving, it is harder for them to move the bowl on the mat (the mat is a webbed spongie type).

If worse comes to worse, there are water containers you can get at Petsmart that have a water reservor and then a housing unit that the water reservor sets down into and then the pets are able to drink from the bowl.

As far as dishes go, paper plates go a long way... lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Food and water bowl problems   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 10:04 pm

Does he do it intentionally, playing with the bowl, or it just happens when he eats? We had a dog who liked to mess with his bowl, pick it up and carry, etc. We got him a heavier one.
Back to top Go down
jimmys devoted
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: specialty bowls or rubber gaskets   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 11:13 pm

We saw some heavy steel bowls with non skid rubber gaskets on the bottom. What we found though was they seemed to like heavy ceramic soup bowls better. Hubby got some gasket material nad set it on the bottom of the bowl. Its washable and they dont move and its cheaper than metal ones!

julie
Back to top Go down
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84

PostSubject: Re: Food and water bowl problems   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 10:20 am

I am sure you will be able to find a bowl that is either weighted or non slip. You could also try using something that is shallower, so your dog does not catch his/her nose on it quite so easily.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Food and water bowl problems   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 2:37 pm

bubble wrote:
I am sure you will be able to find a bowl that is either weighted or non slip. You could also try using something that is shallower, so your dog does not catch his/her nose on it quite so easily.

Yes, I have noticed that shallow bowls work best, dogs don't overturn them so easily and do not seem to be wanting to play with them, either. Higher edges often invite biting into. Smile
Back to top Go down
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

PostSubject: Re: Food and water bowl problems   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 12:00 pm

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I am going to pick him up some weighted bowls this weekend and hope that works.
Back to top Go down
elvenrunelord
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Food and water bowl problems   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 1:01 pm

you can try building a lock down container system for the bowls that you can easily undo so you can clean the bowls regularly.
Back to top Go down
jimmys devoted
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: we were at the store and found agreat product   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 3:07 pm

We were at the Tractor Supply and I am sure Walmart has it too. They are the water dishes that connect to the big water bottles and the other has a hopper that hold fresh kibble. Both dispense into bowls and as the bowl empties it f refills. Its tip proof!

julie
Back to top Go down
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

PostSubject: Re: Food and water bowl problems   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 2:19 pm

We have found that the five gallon containers work for the water. It keep him from turning it over, but the food is another thing all together. We can't put down that much food at one time.
Back to top Go down
DianaR
I am a
I am a
DianaR

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: Food and water bowl problems   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:39 pm

Bowls with storage bottles on top are more stable than a bowl without one.

Getting a water bowl with a reservoir is probably the easiest remedy. It also saves you from having to refill nearly as often.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Food and water bowl problems   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 1:10 pm

Can you teach him to not knock it over? Don't pick it up make him eat it off the floor- Hopefully he would stop doing it. Our cats knock over their water dish all the time- they run into it while playing. I bought some heavier ones. No more tipping over.

I hope you find something that he can't knock over.
Back to top Go down
lilymom24
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Food and water bowl problems   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 9:21 am

We do not have this problem with our dog but the kitten. I feed the cats up on a shelf in my bathroom. If I have the food on the floor, the dog eats it Rolling Eyes So, when the food dish is empty, the kitten knocks it on the floor. I guess she wants to make sure I know she wants more to eat. lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Food and water bowl problems   Food and water bowl problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Food and water bowl problems
Page 1 of 1