Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Are Monkeys Dangerous?

Go down 
+9
sanju123
jimmys devoted
skatss
hoygirl
RustyK
Froix
bubble
shinningstar
MHJ
13 posters
AuthorMessage
MHJ
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Are Monkeys Dangerous? Empty
PostSubject: Are Monkeys Dangerous?   Are Monkeys Dangerous? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 3:25 pm

It is my understanding owning a monkey is illegal in a number of states due to safety reasons. Is this accurate? Why are monkeys dangerous?
Back to top Go down
shinningstar
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Are Monkeys Dangerous?   Are Monkeys Dangerous? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 3:14 am

I heard from a friend that monkeys are dangerous and not easy to handle. But based on my own experience, monkeys are cool. It's only dangerous if not properly tamed.
Back to top Go down
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Are Monkeys Dangerous?   Are Monkeys Dangerous? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 4:36 am

I think trying to domesticate any wild animal would be dangerous. Any animal can be unpredictable, but a monkey also has a great deal of strength, and from what I understand ca also be difficult to control.
Back to top Go down
Froix
I am a
I am a
Froix

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Are Monkeys Dangerous?   Are Monkeys Dangerous? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 8:54 am

One more reason I should be wary of monkeys. Another question I'm more interested in, not having seen live monkeys much, is do monkeys really throw their feces at people?
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Are Monkeys Dangerous?   Are Monkeys Dangerous? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 9:05 pm

Anyone remembers this story about a chimp attacking a man and biting off everything that can be bitten off - nose, ears, fingers, privates? I cringe every time I think of it. Poor man... His wife was bitten as well as she tried to defend him. So yes, monkeys are dangerous.
Back to top Go down
hoygirl
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Are Monkeys Dangerous?   Are Monkeys Dangerous? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 8:35 am

My stepson had a ringed tailed lemur. He isn`t exactly a monkey but he is in the primate family. He needed a special license to own him. He was very sweet too. Unti one day he was stolen and some kids blew pot in his face. After my stepson got him back he was very mean and would bite and scratch to the point of needing stiches.
Back to top Go down
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Are Monkeys Dangerous?   Are Monkeys Dangerous? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 12:07 pm

When I was in 8th grade my friend had a monkey as a pet. She had to keep it in the basement because it was so wild. I hated going to see that monkey. It swung from the pipes and grabbed onto everyone's hair. I was terrified of it. I have no idea if it was even legal to own one. My friend loved the animal but I thought it was very dangerous.
Back to top Go down
jimmys devoted
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: There are ony 9 states that prohibit keeping a monkey   Are Monkeys Dangerous? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 6:32 pm

TN is is not illegal to own one. It has to have its yearly shots just like everything else. And in some cases if a person is multiple handicapped monkey assiatant are supplied.

Many can be potty trained and learn to eat nicely and not poop on someone. Some areas need you to have a monkey license just like licensing your dog.

julie
Back to top Go down
sanju123
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Are Monkeys Dangerous?   Are Monkeys Dangerous? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 3:01 am

Monkeys are too dangerous because their bite leads to lot of pain accompanied with a lot of waste of your precious time. I feel that time is the most important commodity which may not be thrown away for a mere monkey.
Back to top Go down
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Are Monkeys Dangerous?   Are Monkeys Dangerous? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 7:28 am

I currently live in Thailand and there are plenty of people here who have a monkey as a pet.
Back to top Go down
alcher_27
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Are Monkeys Dangerous?   Are Monkeys Dangerous? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 12:43 am

Dogs may have the natural temperament that is compatible to human. The first dog was a wolf that prehistoric men began to domesticate 100,000 years ago. Why not a monkey? A good reason is, monkey and man are not compatible by nature. But this does not mean all monkeys, because I have seen gentle monkeys kept as pets. In contrast to monkeys that pull the hair of people around them, a neighbor's monkey, fettered though, is so gentle that it could weed out all lice she may have in her hair, without loosening a single strand. She can really trust it, sitting calmy behind her, she not fearimg of being stranggled from the behind. An exception to the rule?
Back to top Go down
Tigger
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Are Monkeys Dangerous?   Are Monkeys Dangerous? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 1:36 pm

Monkeys should only be kept by people trained to handle wild animals. They can be quite dangerous if not treated correctly.
Back to top Go down
andasay
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Are Monkeys Dangerous?   Are Monkeys Dangerous? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 2:54 pm

Regardless of if it is dangerous to keep them, I think it is totally unethical. Monkeys should not be kept for pets.

Did you know that most monkeys which are sold for pets are snatched from their mothers in the wild, or indeed, the mother is killed in order to attain the baby for sale as a pet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are Monkeys Dangerous?   Are Monkeys Dangerous? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are Monkeys Dangerous?
Page 1 of 1