Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Snakes as Pets

Go down 
+16
antkmom
DianaR
Froix
RustyK
dm6brett
sanju123
LissyS
lilymom24
bubble
Simplyme
RastaKid
shruti
skatss
KrisNY
shinningstar
Topdog
20 posters
AuthorMessage
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 9:40 pm

Corn Snakes

As pets
Quote :

Corn Snakes hatching from their eggs. The Corn Snake was one of the first snakes to be kept in captivity of humans, and remain one of the most popular. Large numbers are bred annually to ensure that there is a large captive-bred population, lowering the need to collect specimens from the wild. Cohabitation is inadvisable in captivity, as these are naturally solitary animals.

Keepers of Corn Snakes have emphasised a housing with no chance of escape. Corn Snakes are excellent escape artists and will often escape from any enclosure that is not properly fastened. More beginners lose their snakes to escapes than death. Corn snakes are good at climbing, squeezing out of very small holes, and can also use their bodies to push the screen top off of a poorly-fitted aquarium, or push a temporarily-placed top off of a feeding container
Snakes as Pets 250px-10
Diet

Quote :
A Corn Snake swallowing a small mouseCorn Snakes have a diet primarily consisting of rodents, mostly mice and rats which they kill via constriction. They are proficient climbers and may scale trees in search of birds and bats. As litters of infant mice are difficult to find in nature, many neonate Corn Snakes are known to eat small lizards as their first meals, and anoles are the preferred choice.[citation needed] Some individuals retain these dietary tendencies well into adulthood.

Pet Corn Snakes are usually fed by their owners on a diet of commercially available rodents, predominantly mice, while younger and smaller specimens may eat live or dead rat or mouse pups of various sizes. Frozen mice are usually preferable, as live prey can possibly carry disease or injure the snake if it has not been raised on live prey. Frozen newborn rat and mouse pups intended for snakefood are known as "pinkies" in the pet food trade; the larger pups with some white downy hair are known as "fuzzies" or "fluffs".
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
shinningstar
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 1:09 am

I have not tried snakes as pets. But I'm planning to try 1 snake this year. Hoping to learn tips from the experts. It will be my first time. I'm a little bit nervous this time. Hope you'll cheer me up!
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 10:06 am

Yuk! and double yuk. Snakes really scare me and I would never get them as pets. I understand that some people like them- but not me.

My cousin just recently got one for her kids. Crazy I told her- I won't even go to her house.
Back to top Go down
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 10:31 am

I was trying to decide what kind of pet to get and when I saw this topic about snakes I thought I'd read it and see if I might like to get one. Even though snakes seem like a good pet I doubt if I would buy one. I don't think I'd be able to even feed it. Maybe I'm more of a fish type of person.
Back to top Go down
shruti
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 11:16 am

I have also not take snakes as a pet.Corn snakes sound great.
Back to top Go down
RastaKid
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 4:58 pm

Never had a snake for a pet, but I'm pretty curious about having one as a pet.
Back to top Go down
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 5:07 am

Oh boy we had so many snakes when we were growing up. I just loved the way that they moved I found it most amusing. Though feeding time was always depressing as we had to feed them pinkie mice and I think I cried every time.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 6:11 pm

lol @ skatss- I'm more of a fish type of person too- If it comes to snakes or fish. Snakes scare me. I wouldn't want to feed them mice.
Back to top Go down
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 4:13 am

I could never understand why someone would want to keep snakes as a pet, ecpecially venemous one. I actually find them quiet frightening to look at, even photographs make me shudder.
Back to top Go down
lilymom24
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 9:12 am

No, a snake for a pet is not for me. I don't mind the one or two grass snakes that hang out by my garden or when the kids find one to show me but, I don't want one for a pet. Nope...now way!
Back to top Go down
LissyS
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:00 pm

I have not kept a pet snake and I wouldn't. Feeding time is a huge turn-off, I can't bear to feed live mice or other small animals to it. Besides, I don't think reptiles are very responsive as pets.
Back to top Go down
sanju123
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 7:01 am

It is not a very nice idea for me, I think I will never be able to feel comfortable to have a snake around. There are so many shows on TV, featuring snakes I can't watch them even, they are so dreadful creatures.
Back to top Go down
dm6brett

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 8:42 am

My friend has a snake pet after you get over the creepiness of it they are cool pets.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 9:19 pm

There was a guy here in the area who had all kinds of snakes in his house, including venomous ones. One day they all escaped... talk about one scared neighborhood!
Back to top Go down
Froix
I am a
I am a
Froix

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 8:14 am

News just the other day...

Quote :
For 15 minutes of sheer pain 23-year-old Amber Schwartz was attacked by her own pet.
"It hurt. It's like little razors coming down through your finger," says Schwartz.
"I was ganna kill him to get him off me. I told my sister to get a knife then she called 911. "

Snakes are just not good pets for the average person. They're unpredictable and dangerous.
Back to top Go down
DianaR
I am a
I am a
DianaR

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:55 pm

I cared for a room full of snakes in college, as a lab assistant, and have had friends who kept them as pets.

Snakes are actually pretty peaceful, as long as you keep them well fed.
Back to top Go down
antkmom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 8:58 pm

One year I must have been out of my mind and bought my son a pet snake for his birthday. The first night we had it, it got out of the aquarium! It was about 10pm and my son came up and told me the snake escaped! I was freakin! I got my other boys out of bed and had them along with my husband go on a snake hunt! I went and got in bed with my daughter so the snake coudn't get her:) They found the snake in my office!!
It only lived for a little while~ we went on vacation and forgot to leave the light on for it. The stink was horrible from it. That was the first and last snake in our house.
Back to top Go down
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 3:53 am

I currently live in Thailand and I see snakes daily outside my house. I am really scared of them and I could never have one as a pet.
Back to top Go down
Tigger
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 4:17 pm

I find them comforting. I love pets with scales. My sister thinks things with no legs shouldn't be able to move. Smile
Back to top Go down
senecaz
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 9:46 pm

Never will i take care of a snake as a pet. Just taking a look at it makes me scared. I had one friend taking care of it, it was in a aquarium swimming with other big fishes, i wonder if it got out accidentally and bit you.
Back to top Go down
HardworkinMom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 93

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 11:18 pm

A snake is a snake is a snake. You allow one in your house...even if it is non-poisonous...and wow... next thing you know...your kids will graduate into poisonous ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Snakes as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snakes as Pets   Snakes as Pets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snakes as Pets
Page 1 of 1