Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Strays getting in garbage

Go down 
+2
HardworkinMom
antkmom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
antkmom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Strays getting in garbage Empty
PostSubject: Strays getting in garbage   Strays getting in garbage Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 10:04 am

Someone dropped a bunch of kittens on our street. Most of them have found a home in the barn down the road, but one keeps coming into my garage and eating our garbage! It is a sneaky little one. Every time we see her, she runs and we can't catch her. At first we thought about trying to catch her and keep her, but now it is just starting to be annoying. My daughter almost caught her, but she hissed and my daughter backed off.
Any suggestions on how to catch her?
Back to top Go down
HardworkinMom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Strays getting in garbage   Strays getting in garbage Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 6:02 am

You should really pay more attention at how you keep the garbage. Tall garbage cans with tight lids should send the right message to the kitty.

Also...cant you call the pound?
Back to top Go down
LissyS
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Strays getting in garbage   Strays getting in garbage Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:39 pm

There are live traps you can use that will not hurt the kitten. Check with your local animal shelter, they might have some and let you use one. Our shelter does that.
Back to top Go down
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Strays getting in garbage   Strays getting in garbage Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 4:29 pm

There are trapping cages which some facilities use that lure the cat in and then the door closes behind them. Since the kitten is apparently ferral you will just need to make sure you have something over the top of your garbage -whether you have a tight lid or a piece of plywood or andything flat and heavy that will keep them out. -

-I know it can get annoying but they are only doing it because they are hungry not to make a mess or be inconvenient. So, you want to keep them out of the trash consider putting out some food for them - however, that will cause them to continue coming aroung but should deter them from getting into your trash.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Strays getting in garbage   Strays getting in garbage Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:15 pm

Oh how sad--- I don't like the thought of a live trap to catch it- can you imagine how scared the kitty would be. I love kittens!

I agree-- how about food... then try each day to sit out there and get closer to the kitty. Maybe in a bit- you can pet the kitty and make it feel safe. Then you ca keep it!

I can't wait to hear more about this--- keep us posted please!
Back to top Go down
DianaR
I am a
I am a
DianaR

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Strays getting in garbage   Strays getting in garbage Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 1:15 pm

For years, cats roamed wild in the fields, stayed in barns, caught mice and such, without being a problem.

Securing your garbage would be a good idea because it sounds like the cat is making a mess.

Other than that, I wouldn't trap the cat, but tell kids to simply leave the cats alone.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Strays getting in garbage   Strays getting in garbage Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:15 pm

Diana- Your kitten is so cute... reminds me of my kitten Midnight.

I hope that her daughter is able to tame the kitten and keep it as a pet. 1 less stray kitten in the world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strays getting in garbage   Strays getting in garbage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strays getting in garbage
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Goofy Newfies & Friends :: Behavior Problems :: Behavior Problems-
Jump to: