Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?

Go down 
+8
Mei
RustyK
antkmom
giay
ken7700
HardworkinMom
Simplyme
skatss
12 posters
AuthorMessage
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Empty
PostSubject: How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?   How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 12:20 pm

My friend's little girl really wants a pet kitten. The girl is seven years old. My friend is reluctant to give the girl a pet right now because she's afraid that her daughter would eventually lose interest in it and not help care for the animal after a few months. The girls says that she will feed it, and give it water, and help clean up after it but my friend doesn't trust her.

What age do you think is a good age for a child to have a pet and help take care of it?
Back to top Go down
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?   How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 4:28 am

Losing interest is common with many kids but I would tell your friend that if the child shows signs of being responsible now that it would not be a bad idea. Just to make sure if her daughter does lose interest she continues to have her take responsibility for it and before getting it making sure to have a nice long talk about what it takes to care for a pet and explaining that once a pet is brought into a home it becomes a part of the family and therefore needs to be treated as such.

A few of my kids are pretty young but they have had pets since around 5 yrs old and I give them a daily chore chart in which they can earn points towards things they want and pet care is one of those things listed and if they don't do their part they lose their points and with mine they have other consequences - but that is because most of my animals I have rescued and my kids are a big part of that lifestyle so they know not taking care of the pets to me is just as unacceptable as me not feeding the baby.
Back to top Go down
HardworkinMom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?   How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 7:13 am

I have given each of my sons a fish in a bowl when they turned 2. We fed it together and changed the water together.

We lost a fish or two but we gave each son at least 2 chances to keep a fish alive ---replacing when they so enthusiastically overfed.

That was the precursor to having now 3 pet dogs hahaha.
Back to top Go down
ken7700
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?   How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 8:44 am

That really is a tough question. I think every kid is a little different, but from my experience I always start them out with fish as that for me has been a good indication if they are serious about taking care of a bigger pet.
Back to top Go down
giay
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?   How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 9:22 am

I think there is no specific age as each child varies. Better start it out with a pet that can be taken care of in a simpler manner to see how he can be responsible enough for a bigger one. This will also enable to build his interest or enthusiasm about having a pet.
Back to top Go down
antkmom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 81

PostSubject: Re: How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?   How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 9:41 am

This is a great question. My sister in law told all of her children when they turned 8 they could choose a pet to have and take care of. I think that they all did pretty well with this. Well, my daughter just turned 8 over the summer and really wanted a guinea pig. She promised to care for it. She bought it with her own money. Now that it is about 4 months later, the novelty of the guinea pig is gone.
I think that I would recommend to wait until the child is about 10.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?   How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 3:50 pm

I think at the age of 7 the girl is capable of taking care of a kitten. Of course, the adult should be able to step in if she does lose interest (which often happens with kids of all ages) so that the kitten does not suffer. The girl needs to bear consequences though if this happens.
Back to top Go down
Mei
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?   How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 12:17 am

i think a five year old kid can already have a pet. at this age, the child already can understand and take good care of his/her pet. my four year old brother wants to have a dog and we gave him one. it is good that he already knows how to handle it but of course, they still need guidance from older ones.
Back to top Go down
DianaR
I am a
I am a
DianaR

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?   How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 1:30 pm

Have the girl's parents considered fostering pets?

It might be tough for this girl to learn to let go, but they wouldn't be stuck with a pet in the home if she lost interest.

Fostering would also give an added reason for her to learn to care for animals properly.

It's just a suggestion!
Back to top Go down
Dee
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?   How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 11:31 am

My son was 5 and I though it was the idea age however he lost interest very quickly, on my new son his 1st pet will be alot older. Mom gets to take care of the pets now. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
HardworkinMom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 93

PostSubject: Re: How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?   How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:25 pm

Well I totally suggest that you start with low-maintenance pets first like I did with my sons.
Back to top Go down
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109

PostSubject: Re: How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?   How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 5:04 pm

I personally think that around 10 years old would be a good age. Any younger and they will probably not take good care of their pet.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?   How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:33 am

We have always had pets- since I was a little girl. We had a cat when my daughter was born. She is 12 now (Daughter)- she hasn't lost interest the cat or dog.

I think pets are great for kids- they teach them responsibility, love and friendship.

I'm all for having pets when your kids are young.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?   How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Old Should A Child Be To Hve Their First Pet?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Goofy Newfies & Friends :: General Forum :: General Discussion-
Jump to: