Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Cleaning cats' ears

Go down 
+4
LissyS
Mei
Brandbla8
RustyK
8 posters
AuthorMessage
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Cleaning cats' ears Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning cats' ears   Cleaning cats' ears Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 5:24 pm

What do you use to clean your cats ears? I use regular Q-tips, but I can see how they would not work for smaller cats with smaller ears. My boys are big, so no problem here, but I wonder whether there is a special cat product for this purpose.
Back to top Go down
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning cats' ears   Cleaning cats' ears Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 2:37 pm

We have just used the q-tips. We have also used a warm paper towel as well.They like the paper towel better than the q-tips.
Back to top Go down
Mei
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning cats' ears   Cleaning cats' ears Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 1:06 am

RustyK wrote:
What do you use to clean your cats ears? I use regular Q-tips, but I can see how they would not work for smaller cats with smaller ears. My boys are big, so no problem here, but I wonder whether there is a special cat product for this purpose.

i just use a wet towel for cleaning the ears. but sometimes i also use cotton buds. but you should be very careful when using it.
Back to top Go down
LissyS
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning cats' ears   Cleaning cats' ears Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 2:49 am

I use regular Q-tips; yes, you need to be very careful and gentle as you do this, not push too far in the ear canal.
Back to top Go down
lilymom24
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning cats' ears   Cleaning cats' ears Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 12:09 pm

I use a cotton ball and a little bit of olive oil. Then I massage the ears a little to work the oil in. I would used the Q-tips but I am afraid that with all the squirming, I would hurt them in some way.

How do you keep them from squirming too much?
Back to top Go down
melodious
I am a
I am a
melodious

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning cats' ears   Cleaning cats' ears Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 9:50 pm

I have way too much experience with this -- my poor Max has allergies that lead to recurring ear infections, so I've had to do a lot of kitty ear cleaning for the past 8 years. I start with a cotton ball soaked in ear cleaning solution and gently squish it around; then I let Max shake his head a lot to loosen the debris. I use Q-tips clean up the outer parts of the ear, but I don't use them in the ear canal -- his ears are small & I have to be careful.

As far as the squirming goes, this doesn't get any easier with time; if anything, it gets harder as the cat ages and gets more creative with escape techniques! Patience, constant reassurance for the kitty, and a little creativity are the only suggestions I can think of for dealing with the squirming. Anyone else have more specific ideas?
Back to top Go down
http://www.artistic-lemonade.com
DianaR
I am a
I am a
DianaR

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning cats' ears   Cleaning cats' ears Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 3:54 pm

I guess I have been fortunate not to have cats with ear problems, which is good. I don't know if I would have the heart to hold them tightly enough to clean their ears, no matter what I was using!
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning cats' ears   Cleaning cats' ears Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:12 pm

Wow-- a whole post on cleaning the cats ears. I didn't know we were supposed to- But I gues it makes sense. We clean our own right?

So you actually use a q-tip? Do you put anything on it? I see cleaning solution but not what solution. I don't think I would want to put olive oil in my cats ear?
Back to top Go down
LissyS
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning cats' ears   Cleaning cats' ears Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:18 pm

I haven't used olive oil, just plain Q-tips, but I think putting just a very, very small amount of oil might be good, it would make it go easier.

My cats do not squirm too bad, one actually loves having his ears cleaned. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning cats' ears   Cleaning cats' ears Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cleaning cats' ears
Page 1 of 1