Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Fat pets result of cruel owners

Go down 
+8
jimmys devoted
bubble
wildwoman
antkmom
skatss
hoygirl
RustyK
Froix
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Froix
I am a
I am a
Froix

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Fat pets result of cruel owners Empty
PostSubject: Fat pets result of cruel owners   Fat pets result of cruel owners Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 5:29 pm

Be aware if you've got a fat pet. You may be breaking the law, the Victorian pet-ownership codes to be exact.

Quote :
GIVING a cat a saucer of cow's milk is cruel, not kind, under state government guidelines.

And failing to notice a dog is fat or allowing it to poke its head out a moving car's window are breaches of Victorian pet-ownership codes.

Bureau of Animal Welfare director Dr Steve Tate has urged all pet owners to brush up on their responsibilities.

Article Link
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Fat pets result of cruel owners   Fat pets result of cruel owners Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 9:55 pm

Well, I know giving the pets proper nutrition is important, but I think it would be better if they enforced harsher punishment on those who starve and abuse their pets. Bad cases of abuse go unpunished and we worry about a kitty who likes his food a bit too much and the owner who can't refuse them.
Back to top Go down
hoygirl
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Fat pets result of cruel owners   Fat pets result of cruel owners Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 8:26 am

I don`t see too many overweight pets around here but I have seen abused animals. I don`t know what the law is here on over feeding a pet. What I hate is seeng a homeless person with a dog that is so skinny you just know the dog is starving.I want to feed the dog not the person.
Back to top Go down
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Fat pets result of cruel owners   Fat pets result of cruel owners Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 12:12 pm

I can understand that allowing your pet to stick its head out a moving car can be illegal. Not only can the pet be injured but others as well. As for having a fat pet, that shouldn't be considered illegal. If you take your pet to the vet the vet will let you know that your pet is too large and he can help you with that.

Allowing your pet to eat too much is not a result of cruel owners but a result of owners who love their pets and who might give them too much food.

Beating and hurting a pet is far worse than feeding them too much.
Back to top Go down
antkmom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Fat pets result of cruel owners   Fat pets result of cruel owners Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 9:53 am

Looks like I am guilty. I give my dog bowls of milk all the time. I also give my moms cat bowls of milk and cans of tuna fish.
I can see the danger of letting your dog stick his head out the window. My dog is so small, she can't reach her head out, but she loves the window down and the wind blowing in her face.
Back to top Go down
wildwoman
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Fat pets result of cruel owners   Fat pets result of cruel owners Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 1:50 pm

I agree with RustyK,shouldn't they spend more time on going after the people who starve their animals rather than the ones that feed their babies good? I mean OK I guess I could understand if the animal was severally overweight. Does it say anywhere what constitutes as fat? My dogs look plump but they are small dogs,and they are only 12 and 15 lbs. I do have a big sized cat,she is 20 something and from my husband exes Grandma.
Back to top Go down
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Fat pets result of cruel owners   Fat pets result of cruel owners Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 1:57 pm

I have a friend who got a stern telling off from her vet a few weeks ago when she took her dog in for his annual check up. The vet said he was a few pounds overweight for his breed, even though he does not look overweight. She said the vet made her feel awful about it, she is even alittle paranoid about it now.
Back to top Go down
jimmys devoted
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: all of ours aer overweight   Fat pets result of cruel owners Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 6:10 pm

If oyu go by the bags. But our vet is very happy with them. All are healthy and they have a nice layer and we follow their leads. there are days they don't want to eat and then there are days they eat two meals( meat, small starch and a small dessert of some sort)

The world has becomes so obsessed with it that they are inflicting it on everything. Can you imagine a thin walrus?

julie
Back to top Go down
alcher_27
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Fat pets result of cruel owners   Fat pets result of cruel owners Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 9:20 am

Fatten your chihuahua and that could lead to diabetes. That's cruelty, borne of ignorance, assuming the vet has not warned you beforehand. Fat dogs have short lives.
Back to top Go down
Tigger
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Fat pets result of cruel owners   Fat pets result of cruel owners Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 1:28 pm

I have a fat cat. He doesn't eat that much, he's just fat. Does that still qualify?
Back to top Go down
andasay
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Fat pets result of cruel owners   Fat pets result of cruel owners Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 2:57 pm

I am not sure anyone would be convinced that an animal can be naturally fat. i am sure they would tell you that your cat needs more exercise and such to loose the extra weight, rather like a doctor would with people.
Back to top Go down
Orrymain
I am a
I am a
Orrymain

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Fat pets result of cruel owners   Fat pets result of cruel owners Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 7:27 pm

RustyK wrote:
Well, I know giving the pets proper nutrition is important, but I think it would be better if they enforced harsher punishment on those who starve and abuse their pets. Bad cases of abuse go unpunished and we worry about a kitty who likes his food a bit too much and the owner who can't refuse them.
I have to agree with this. Sometimes laws don't focus on the areas that they should. I've seen too many sad stories on the news and in the papers, and none of them are about over-fed and most likely well loved pets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fat pets result of cruel owners   Fat pets result of cruel owners Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fat pets result of cruel owners
Page 1 of 1