Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Bettas as Pets

Go down 
+5
Oigen
shruti
skatss
Topdog
mandiees
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mandiees
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 3:13 pm

My first pet that was my very own to take care of was a Betta fish named Kurt. Ever since then I have always had a Betta fish sitting on my desk - I just love the way they look:) Right now my fishy friend's name is Mortimer - he does not really do much, although he will practically jump out of the bowl for some food...
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 8:36 pm

That is funny. I love betta's, I had one that was almost purple, I think he lived about 5 years. I kept him in a 1/2 gallon aquarium and he did very well. Loved swimming up and down the bubbles.

Never did name mine though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 10:18 am

What is a betta fish? I never heard of it. If it isn't too expensive I might want to get one too. Are they okay living alone or do they need a friend with them? Also, do you need a large aquarium for it?
Back to top Go down
shruti
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 11:23 am

i also love betta so much.
Back to top Go down
Oigen
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 2:29 pm

Are bettas hard to take care of? I heard they're easy to acommodate with other fish.
Back to top Go down
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 5:09 am

I got my first Beta several years ago in a vase full of flowers. I named it Beta and was crushed when she died almost a year later. We went through a cold spell and her tank heater went out. What a horrible way to go it was very sad but the kids and I would love to have a Beta again they are so very pretty and colorful.
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 8:18 pm

skatss wrote:
What is a betta fish? I never heard of it. If it isn't too expensive I might want to get one too. Are they okay living alone or do they need a friend with them? Also, do you need a large aquarium for it?

Betas are very inexpensive and can live in a glass of water if you are so inclined. They are japanese fighting fish and cannot live with another fish. Although I have heard of a male and a female living together, I don't recommend it.

They are beautiful fan tailed fish, and are a hardy fish. If you put them in a small aquarium, they are an active fish.
Back to top Go down
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 5:32 am

I once saw to glass vases put next to each other with betas in them and they actually will injure themselves attacking the glass trying to get to the other fish. You learn real fast not to set them near each other. Vicious...lol.
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 8:52 pm

For anyone considering BETTAS
Living conditions

Bettas are often kept in extremely small containers, a practice which many aquarists consider inhumane. This practice is due in part to practical considerations; few pet stores have the space or finances to display a large selection of male bettas except in small containers. However, many inexperienced fishkeepers continue to house bettas in small containers after purchase. A popular misconception is that wild bettas live in very small puddles, and thus are "happier" when kept in cramped conditions. In reality, like any other fish, bettas are healthier, more active and will often grow larger when they are kept in a roomy tank. Aquarists typically recommend that there be at least 1 gallon (3.75L) of water for each cubic inch (16.5cm³) of fish (this is a general estimate; some species may require additional space).

The betta deserves its reputation as a hardy, low-maintenance breed and a good choice for beginning aquarists. However, betta still require appropriate conditions to survive and thrive. The betta is a tropical fish and does best when kept in a tank with a heater (use of heaters is strongly discouraged in tanks under 5 gallons (20L) in size). The ideal temperature for a betta is 78-80°F. Temperatures lower than 76°F (25°C) render the fish lethargic and illness-prone. Betta are capable of jumping from tanks and thus must be kept in a tank with a cover; this cover must not be air-tight, however, as the betta needs to be able to breathe from the surface (especially in a tank which lacks aeration). Also it is recommended by breeders and pet stores alike that if you are unaware of your water's pH, to use spring water instead. This can be found at virtually any store, or a local spring would be just fine. This helps prevent your betta from getting sick or dying from unbalanced water conditions.

Many beginners' mistakes are perpetuated by the betta's hardiness. Along with believing that cramped spaces are good for bettas, new owners often believe bettas can live for extended periods in foul water, or that a betta doesn't require water changes. Bettas in 1 gallon tanks require 2-3 water changes a week. Bettas in 2 or 3 gallon tanks can make it with weekly water changes and maintain good health for many years. Although small tanks are often sold with filters, tanks with less than 5 gallons do not cycle and bettas still require regular water changes to prevent ammonia buildup.

Bettas enjoy plastic plants and small ornaments they can rest on. Many bettas also like ornaments with small openings they can swim in and out of. However, especially with veiltails, plants and ornaments need to be free of sharp edges to prevent the betta from tearing its fins. Because of frequent water changes, most betta owners do not use aquarium gravel in their tanks and bowls. Glass pebbles and marbles designed for aquariums are often popular substitutes.
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 8:53 pm

Tankmates
Because of the aggressive nature of the Betta splendens species, tank-mates must be carefully chosen:

Two or more Males: Contrary to popular belief, male betta splendens do not fight to the death in the wild; when one fish has won the fight, the loser retreats to safety.[citation needed] In an aquarium, however, there is no retreat, so the victor fish continues attacking the loser, often resulting in the loser's death, therefore, hobbyists rarely house two male B. splendens in the same tank unless they are (a) separated by a partition, or (b) they are from the same batch of eggs and are immature.

A Male and a Female: In the wild, females stay clear of males, except during mating. When cohabiting in tanks, males might kill females, and are generally kept apart unless (a) they are juvenile siblings, (b) they are breeding, (c) there is a partition, or (d) the tank is large enough for the female to escape attack. Often, before breeding, breeders use a partitioned container to allow female display without risking harm by the male.

Two or more Females: Bettas are not schooling fish, but in a large tank with many hiding spaces, female bettas can cohabit. When two females share a tank, one usually bullies the other; however, four or more females will establish a hierarchy allowing peaceful co-existence. Nevertheless, females living in community must be monitored for aggressive females.

Compatible fish of other species: Hobbyists put betta splendens in tanks with other species after careful research and preparation. Common tankmates include platies (moons), corydoras catfish, and loaches. Females can share a tank with danios, tetras, barbs, and gouramis. Shrimp are popular tank-mates because, provided with sufficient natural plant cover, they keep the tank clean without causing stress to the bettas
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Bettas as Pets 800px-10

Bettas as Pets Betta210
Back to top Go down
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 1:35 pm

Now my daughter had one of these last year. They are really easy to take care of and easy to clean after.
Back to top Go down
dreamr802
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 10:16 pm

Bettas are fun to take care of. And they are beautiful fish. I should get a betta fish. But I'm more for the complicated fish to take care of. But maybe get a betta fish for work and keep it on my desk. That would be cool.
Back to top Go down
senecaz
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 9:00 pm

i don't like them even if they're too cute. its like having a hostile pet, much like a snake that attacks anything of its own kind. In my country, i see them being sold and placed in just a piece of cellophane which is sad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bettas as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bettas as Pets   Bettas as Pets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bettas as Pets
Page 1 of 1