Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Dealing with pet loss

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Dealing with pet loss Empty
PostSubject: Dealing with pet loss   Dealing with pet loss Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 10:34 pm

A good friend of mine recently had to put down her doggie, due to an illness. She was crying for days. I had advised to get another doggie, she said she was not ready yet. Just a couple of days ago, she felt she could do that, especially since the other dog was missing her companion. They've got a cute new puppy now.

Every pet owner deals with the grief of pet loss differently. What do you do? Do you open your home and heart to a new pet, or do you need some time as well?
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with pet loss   Dealing with pet loss Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 10:33 am

After we lost our oldest, we ended up getting our "Goofy Newfie". What bit of grief we were dealing with at the time was immediatly taken to the back seat. Our new aloof family member has taken a lot of time and energy to raise. There are still times we both miss our little man greatly though. He was an 8# Peke and just the sweetest dispostion one could have in an animal.

I think that grief is different for pet owners, I know it hit my husband very hard, as our little guy was the first dog he had allowed to get close to him since his childhood (he had always told me he didn't like dogs). I think too it takes just as much time and grieving to get over the lose of a dear pet as it does a family member.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
aclowers
I am a
I am a
aclowers

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with pet loss   Dealing with pet loss Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 1:42 pm

To many our pets are our family. Whether you have kids and your pet is your child or if it is a family pet, you still miss them when they are gone. You think about all the cute things they did and how much you loved them. Memories are wonderful and a comfort to hold onto. But, yes getting a new pet can be a distraction and help heal the hurt.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with pet loss   Dealing with pet loss Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 1:13 am

Some pet owners think that if they get a new pet, they are "betraying" the one they have lost, as if he was something "replaceable." I do not think it is replacing though, and we certainly do keep the lost pet in our hearts. I take comfort in the fact that my pet has been happy in our home, and now I will make another pet happy by opening my home to them.
Back to top Go down
Mei
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with pet loss   Dealing with pet loss Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 10:01 pm

RustyK wrote:
A good friend of mine recently had to put down her doggie, due to an illness. She was crying for days. I had advised to get another doggie, she said she was not ready yet. Just a couple of days ago, she felt she could do that, especially since the other dog was missing her companion. They've got a cute new puppy now.

Every pet owner deals with the grief of pet loss differently. What do you do? Do you open your home and heart to a new pet, or do you need some time as well?

i have experienced this one many times. i had so many dogs who died because of illness and accidents. it is really hard to overcome it and crying for weeks and months is very normal. but then i never try to close the door for new pets. although it is hard to have new pets again because of the fear that you might lose them again, still, i am willing to try.
Back to top Go down
LissyS
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with pet loss   Dealing with pet loss Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 2:28 am

I know many people who will not get pets because they do not want to deal with pet loss. I think they are robbing themselves of a lot ot joy and happiness.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with pet loss   Dealing with pet loss Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dealing with pet loss
Page 1 of 1