Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Cat Scratching and Biting

Go down 
+2
WaffleStomp
RustyK
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Cat Scratching and Biting Empty
PostSubject: Cat Scratching and Biting   Cat Scratching and Biting Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:06 pm

I had a friend who complained that his cat would scratch and bite a lot. Now, I know that this never happens for no reason. The cat is either threatened or annoyed, or maybe it had had a rough upbringing so it reacts this way and needs to be re-trained. I asked this friend for more info, and it turned out that he had been wrestling with the poor cat all the time, as if it was a dog. No wonder it used its weapons to defend itself.
Back to top Go down
WaffleStomp
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Cat Scratching and Biting   Cat Scratching and Biting Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 12:56 am

RustyK wrote:
I had a friend who complained that his cat would scratch and bite a lot. Now, I know that this never happens for no reason. The cat is either threatened or annoyed, or maybe it had had a rough upbringing so it reacts this way and needs to be re-trained. I asked this friend for more info, and it turned out that he had been wrestling with the poor cat all the time, as if it was a dog. No wonder it used its weapons to defend itself.

Usually a rough upbringing is responsible.
I have the same trouble with my cats back when they were kittens. I have two cats that I adopted from a Save-A-Pet and they would always scratch us, and never let us pet them, it actually took us 3 years to get them settled in with us. Make sure to give them a piece of turkey or some human food once in a while, because that sure increases the cats mood's Very Happy
Anyway, why your friend was wresting with a poor cat is beyond my reasoning Question
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Cat Scratching and Biting   Cat Scratching and Biting Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 10:21 pm

WaffleStomp wrote:
Anyway, why your friend was wresting with a poor cat is beyond my reasoning Question

Yeah, I had the same question. I suppose it's a "guy thing," he did not want a cuddler, he wanted a wrestling buddy for a pet. And then when he taught the cat aggression, he wondered why the cat would bite and scratch. Rolling Eyes

Glad to hear that your kitties have become tame. It takes some patience and love to make feral kittens trust you.
Back to top Go down
Froix
I am a
I am a
Froix

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Cat Scratching and Biting   Cat Scratching and Biting Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 8:15 am

Growing kittens love to play and will continue to do so if you keep playing with them. Just be sure to let it know when to keep its claws and teeth to itself. I don't mean kicking it out the window, a slight tap on the head is ok.
Back to top Go down
MHJ
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Cat Scratching and Biting   Cat Scratching and Biting Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 9:06 am

It is not always difficult to break a cat out of these habits. You will need to possess a great deal of patience that it will be worth it in the end. The the result will be a very well behaved cat.
Back to top Go down
ekmallette
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Cat Scratching and Biting   Cat Scratching and Biting Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 6:16 am

When cats play they bite and scratch...it's kind of their nature, ya know? I've found that after a good round of play, it's time to settle down and try to make my cats settle down to get cuddles and pets and such. If they don't, then I quit playing with them for a while. It sounds like the kitty is in the play mode whenever he sees his owner since he's been raised that way.
Back to top Go down
Vlada
I am a
I am a
Vlada

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Cat Scratching and Biting   Cat Scratching and Biting Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 3:10 am

RustyK wrote:
I am sure that cats are very clever creatures and they never do any harm without the definite reason. The best way is to exclude the reason instead to wrestle with the poor creature.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cat Scratching and Biting   Cat Scratching and Biting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cat Scratching and Biting
Page 1 of 1