Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Pet Turtles

Go down 
+4
Florentin
DianaR
Topdog
Froix
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Froix
I am a
I am a
Froix

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Pet Turtles Empty
PostSubject: Pet Turtles   Pet Turtles Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 6:23 pm

I know some people keep little ones in some kind of an aquarium. I remember finding a turtle once as a kid. I found it tackling a hill in one of our mushroom picking days in a forest near us. I knew it must have escaped somehow from this large turtle farm (Are they called farms?) but hey I was like 7 or so so I took it home as a pet. I didn't know what species it was but I'm guessing a mud turtle.
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Pet Turtles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Turtles   Pet Turtles Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 11:35 am

When I was a kid they use to sell little 'green' turtles you kept is a small aquariam, and feed small specks of turtle food. I don't remember the name of them. But there was a scare years later that they carried salmonila, and the stores stopped carrying them.

When my mom had her home, she lived on several acres of desert land, and had a couple of desert tortises that would come up to the fish pond for water, and they were so tame they use to follow her around the yard, and of course come up to the house for meals. It was fun to watch. Eventually the housing industry bought the property - so we gathered them up and took them up higher in the desert to live out their lives (better than an back hoe going through their shell).
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
DianaR
I am a
I am a
DianaR

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Pet Turtles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Turtles   Pet Turtles Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:53 pm

Froix wrote:
I know some people keep little ones in some kind of an aquarium. I remember finding a turtle once as a kid. I found it tackling a hill in one of our mushroom picking days in a forest near us. I knew it must have escaped somehow from this large turtle farm (Are they called farms?) but hey I was like 7 or so so I took it home as a pet. I didn't know what species it was but I'm guessing a mud turtle.

How long did the turtle live?

I have heard that some turtles don't do well in captivity because they develop health problems.
Back to top Go down
Florentin
I am a
I am a
Florentin

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Pet Turtles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Turtles   Pet Turtles Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 2:40 am

my kids and I also found a little turtle outside our house one day
it had been raining for a while
it probably got out of one the lakes here

we kept it for a few hours, and then we decided she/he would be much happier outside, at her own home
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Pet Turtles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Turtles   Pet Turtles Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 8:50 am

I've seen turtles in fish aquariums too. Never had one as a pet. Around here there are Big snapping turtles. My cousins boys love them. They keep them as pets. Why? I've no idea! They find them outside in ponds or in swampy areas. I've no idea how long they live.
Back to top Go down
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Pet Turtles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Turtles   Pet Turtles Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 3:54 am

Some friends of mine had turtles as pets but I could never really understand why. I prefer to have a more active pet.
Back to top Go down
Mei
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Pet Turtles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Turtles   Pet Turtles Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:23 pm

turtles are good pets for kids. my little brother has a turtle and he loves it so much. i think it is also the easiest pet to handle and to take good care of.
Back to top Go down
Tigger
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Pet Turtles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Turtles   Pet Turtles Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 4:10 pm

Turtles are very laid-back pets. We used to have one as pet when I was young.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Pet Turtles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Turtles   Pet Turtles Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 11:41 am

Snapping turtles are not laid back- they snap! Be careful not to get your finger in the wrong spot. I like more active pets as well. Pets that I can pet and play with, take for walks, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pet Turtles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Turtles   Pet Turtles Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pet Turtles
Page 1 of 1