Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Jumping on certain people

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Jumping on certain people Empty
PostSubject: Jumping on certain people   Jumping on certain people Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 5:57 pm

My dog Carmen refuses to stop jumping up on my mom. Problem is- my dog is a boxer and weighs probably 50 pounds. My mom is 5 foot 2. Carmen almost always knocks my mom over.

Carmen does not jump on everyone- it seems like she only jumps on small people? How do I make her stop?
Back to top Go down
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Jumping on certain people   Jumping on certain people Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 6:19 pm

Have you had your mom be really firm with Carmen? If Carmen knows the words NO and DOWN then your mom using them in a strong voice should help deter her from doing it.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

PostSubject: Re: Jumping on certain people   Jumping on certain people Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 12:08 pm

Oh a lot of times Carmen comes up from behind and we don't see her- she gets so excited and she knocks her down. It's not funny- but it is.... I always tell her NO-- Down.. and so does mom- sometimes she is just so excited and forgets the meaning!
Back to top Go down
aclowers
I am a
I am a
aclowers

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Jumping on certain people   Jumping on certain people Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 10:11 pm

I don't know hon, you may have to call the Dog Whisperer on this one. My parents had a dog that would bounce. It was so funny, it was an outside dog and it would bounce really high on all fours. He must have been born with springs in the bottom of his paws.

We had to be firm with him, as well. Not only did he bounce, but he too would jump on people. Little kids, didn't have a chance. We always had to have an adult with the children when they were going to be around him or he would bowl them over.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Jumping on certain people   Jumping on certain people Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 2:43 pm

I've had dogs who would do some jumping, and usually saying NO would remind them that it was not allowed. I have not dealt with a bad case where disciplining does not help... Perhaps you do need a professional's advice here.
Back to top Go down
antkmom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Jumping on certain people   Jumping on certain people Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 9:04 pm

My dog is the same, but she is only 10 pounds. When certain people enter the house she jumps and jumps and jumps....she actually springs up on them. She is told no and doesn't listen, but with other people she doesn't jump at all or stops when told. I don't get it.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

PostSubject: Re: Jumping on certain people   Jumping on certain people Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 12:31 pm

A dog whisperer... how cute is that? I am wondering if Carmen can sense the fear in my mom. It's cute-- Carmen really is just trying to be friendly and say hello- but she is so big she sometimes knocks my mom down!

Usually if I see her running- I will say Carmen Stop! or stay down and she listens- it is the other times it is like a sneak attack!
Back to top Go down
antkmom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Jumping on certain people   Jumping on certain people Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 8:52 am

I just ordered the book Dog Whisperer. I'll let you know if it has a solution for you in there.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

PostSubject: Re: Jumping on certain people   Jumping on certain people Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Thabnks ANTK... I wonder what they say. Carmen is a great dog-- she just gets excited. She hasn't knocked my mom down in a bit now- Although it's winter here and you can hear her running through the snow!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jumping on certain people   Jumping on certain people Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jumping on certain people
Page 1 of 1