Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business Empty
PostSubject: 3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business   3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Last updated October 5, 2008 11:19 p.m. PT

By JON NAITO
P-I REPORTER

Three King County Council members recommended Sunday that the county stop the service of sheltering animals, citing a broken system beyond repair and a culture hostile toward reform.

Council Chairwoman Julia Patterson and Vice Chairmen Dow Constantine and Reagan Dunn called a news conference inside the King County Courthouse to promote a plan that would reduce the county's role in animal services by partnering with a private agency to handle shelter services.

"It would mean not being in the sheltering business any more," Constantine said.

The council members' position is based on a report filed by the King County Animal Services Interbranch Work Group, an interdepartmental task force of agencies that looked into the state of animal services in the county and proposed three options to overhaul the system.

The three council members Sunday backed the "Community-Based Services Model," a plan that would pair the county with a private agency.

Read entire story
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

PostSubject: Re: 3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business   3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 3:40 pm

Supporters of private animal shelters to rally at noon
By MIKE BARBER
P-I REPORTER

A rally supporting a proposal that the county reduce its role in providing shelter and other services for animals is planned for noon Monday.

The rally, sponsored by a group calling itself KCACC Exposed, is expected to be held a day after three King County Council members, Julia Patterson, Dow Constantine and Reagan Dunn, announced a plan to get the county out of the sheltering business and, instead, partnering with non-profit, private organizations to provide services.

The rally is planned for noon in front of Seattle City Hall, where organizers claim they were forced to move after being discouraged by county officials from holding one near the King County Courthouse.
Read the entire article
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: 3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business   3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 10:46 pm

When I read the title, I thought they just did not want to take care of stray animals anymore. Then I saw that they were just trying to switch to something different. Do you think it will be better or worse for the animals?
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

PostSubject: Re: 3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business   3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 3:57 pm

I don't know RustyK, I know that privatizing the government has positive measures, but I can't help to wonder how many animals will go the way side - the masses outweigh the needs.

scratch
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: 3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business   3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 11:05 pm

Well, I hope they at least calculate the costs and see whether the private parties have enough resources to take care of the animals. I hope it is not a situation of, "Let them handle what they can handle, and if more animals are euthanized, so be it." Sad
Back to top Go down
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: 3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business   3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:31 pm

I just hope they do the best thing for the animals. I too thought the same thing when I read the title.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business   3 council members recommend county get out of animal shelter business Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1