Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Clipping their wings.

Go down 
+5
Brandbla8
bubble
Froix
Dolphy
sanju123
9 posters
AuthorMessage
sanju123
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Clipping their wings. Empty
PostSubject: Clipping their wings.   Clipping their wings. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 7:11 am

I have read some where that some people do clip the wings of their pets so that they can't take long flights. Isn't it too inhuman? If you have problem that bird flies around in your house then drop the idea of having one.
Back to top Go down
Dolphy
I am your
I am your
Dolphy

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Clipping their wings.   Clipping their wings. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:03 am

Hellooo.. Sorry but I think it is more inhumane NOT to clip their wings. It isnt about them flying around the house that bothers me. It is about what happens when they accidentally get out of the house by the open door. Yes, this can happen and it has happened to me. My bird has his full flight feathers. I was going out the door to check on the BBQ. Something spooked my bird.. and if he is spooked.. he will fly to me. Well I was going out the door.. he flew after me. My other half yelled out his name trying to stop him from flying out the door. I heard that and turned and looked and saw my bird flying right for me. I tried to close the screen door in time, but I didnt. I tried to grab him as he flew by my head, but I didnt get him in time. Now... the question is.. was he able to care for himself out in the wild or did he end up as some hawk's dinner. They are domesticated birds and I will never know if he made it on his own if he died. It broke my heart. Remember, if they are scared, they just take flight. So... if you want to risk your bird getting away... then do not clip the wings. I do clip my birds' wings now.
Back to top Go down
Froix
I am a
I am a
Froix

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Clipping their wings.   Clipping their wings. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 6:55 pm

If you intend on keeping the bird as a pet, clipping their wings sounds reasonable. Some bird owners talk of releasing them soon where obviously wing clipping would be a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Clipping their wings.   Clipping their wings. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 2:05 pm

I would certainly favour wing clipping over not letting them out of the cage at all. My nephew had two birds that managed to escape the house and were never to be seen again. The problem with exotic birds is that they can become easy prey for other birds out in the wild, so If they cannot get very far, then owners would easily be able to a catch them and bring them back into the safety of the home.
Back to top Go down
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Clipping their wings.   Clipping their wings. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 12:38 pm

Just make sure they do not get out of your home at all. My aunt has a bird that she had this done to and it is just fine, healthy and happy. The bird is her baby, or so she calls the cutie.
Back to top Go down
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Clipping their wings.   Clipping their wings. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 4:05 pm

I honestly do not think it is inhumane at all. As long as it is done properly you are merely clipping their feathers and helping to prevent injuries. If you were to have a bird get out in your home there are an abundance of things that could injure them - opening/closing doors - fans - people etc etc
Back to top Go down
Florentin
I am a
I am a
Florentin

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Clipping their wings.   Clipping their wings. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 10:40 am

also, in the beginning, when the bird does not know you well, it will be much easier to keep it on your hand or shoulder, and it won't be able to just fly off.
Back to top Go down
sanju123
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Clipping their wings.   Clipping their wings. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 8:14 am

Actually I have caged birds with me, I never let them loose so I need not clip their wings. The idea of clipping of wings hurts me but if given it a thought it is needed if the birds fly around in the house.
Back to top Go down
Tigger
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Clipping their wings.   Clipping their wings. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 4:01 pm

The idea is a bit painful, but even I would favour that option over never letting out of the cage at all.
Back to top Go down
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Clipping their wings.   Clipping their wings. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 1:46 pm

Clipping their wings is a good idea. If the bird does get out would it be able to take care of itself in the wild? Most housbirds don't know how to get food or stay away from other animals. I think it's best that the wings were clipped. It's for their own safety.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clipping their wings.   Clipping their wings. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clipping their wings.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Goofy Newfies & Friends :: Pets :: Feathery Friends-
Jump to: