Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Affording Pet Care

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Affording Pet Care Empty
PostSubject: Affording Pet Care   Affording Pet Care Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 4:57 am

These questions come with a story of my own as well. How do you guys manage to be able to afford care such as the vet for your animals? Everything is so costly from check ups to even fluids or antibiotics. And also why is everyone who is suppose to have this love for pets so willing to let them die rather than provide affordable care or payment plans for treatment????

I have just brought in a stray that has been around my apartment complex from what I am told for years. He typically comes around my place to eat along with many of the other strays and on occasion will catch a nap inside before he goes on his merry way.

Anyway, 2 nights ago he was attacked by a dog outside of the complex and I was unable to find him until late yesterday afternoon. He appeared to be badly injured and was unable to walk and breathing heavy. I called around to every vet and hospital in town and no one takes payments and no one was really willing to treat him for much under $400 up front. I took him in anyway to at least diagnose his injuries and found that it was $47 for just walking in the doors and being seen then another $66 for giving him fluids and $29 for antibiotics (which are an 8th of the strength that would be prescribed to me and the same kind only cost twice as much top that off with $49 for pain medication which they gave me some vial of approx. 4 doses which breaks down into 2 days worth then they wanted me to pay $84 for an FIV test and $194 for an X-ray. Needless to say I dug into my rent money (cross you fingers I can replace it before my hubby finds out) and got him everything except for the FIV test and X-Ray. I was just appalled that everyone was care free when it came to the fact that this animal who is so loving could lose its life because it did not have a home or I was too poor to afford the outrageous amount they want to charge.
Back to top Go down
DianaR
I am a
I am a
DianaR

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Affording Pet Care Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affording Pet Care   Affording Pet Care Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 12:00 pm

Have you tried contacting the ASPCA in your area?

I have seen them on Animal Planet and they often tell pet owners who can't afford care, that their vets provide free services. It might be an option!
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Affording Pet Care Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affording Pet Care   Affording Pet Care Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 6:50 pm

God bless you Simplyme for doing this for the poor kitty. Yes, it is outrageous that many vet clinics overcharge you for everything and do not have any affordable options, especially when you bring in a stray. I suppose we can always take an injured stray to a shelter, they will treat it, but what if they have no room? Our local shelter is usually packed full. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Affording Pet Care Empty
PostSubject: Re: Affording Pet Care   Affording Pet Care Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Affording Pet Care
Page 1 of 1