Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Trials and tribulations Pets are facing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Trials and tribulations Pets are facing Empty
PostSubject: Trials and tribulations Pets are facing   Trials and tribulations Pets are facing Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 9:17 pm

We know the Family Pets are having a hard time due to the Hurricaines, but now another emergency has hit - far less visible but in some ways, far more insidious because it is so widespread. The New York Times detailed this in a recent article entitled "Homeless Pets Crowd Shelters as Families Hit Hard Times." It noted that as families face foreclosures or economic distress, they frequently have to abandon their pets. Local shelters are seeing more and more pets dropped off resulting in an increase in the number of animals having to be euthanized.

In addition, many other families and pets have been forced from their homes because of recent natural disasters. Fires and floods have created critical problems for people needing not only new housing for themselves, but also for their pets.

North Shore Animal League America is the world's largest no-kill rescue and adoption organization. Each year we rescue, nurture and adopt over 20,000 homeless dogs, cats, puppies and kittens. Every week we take in pets from kill shelters from various parts of the country - many of which are hit hard by the economic down-turn.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
sanju123
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Trials and tribulations Pets are facing   Trials and tribulations Pets are facing Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 11:47 pm

This a true fact and a very harsh one. These shelters do get flooded with abandoned animals after natural disasters. There are several NGOs who come forward with donations so that these animal shelter people can cope up with such hard times.
Back to top Go down
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Trials and tribulations Pets are facing   Trials and tribulations Pets are facing Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:26 am

There have also been reports of similar things happening in the UK. The global financial crisis has seen many pets abandoned or given to animal rescue organisations. It is such a shame that people feel they can no longer afford to keep up with their pets needs, but I am sure that most do not make the decision to give up a pet lightly.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Trials and tribulations Pets are facing   Trials and tribulations Pets are facing Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 6:13 pm

Those who dump their pets are heartless and irresponsible people. I don't care how tough it is, you don't dump friends. If you absolutely can't care for them any longer, you should place them in a shelter, not dump them somewhere out in the country.
Back to top Go down
elvenrunelord
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Trials and tribulations Pets are facing   Trials and tribulations Pets are facing Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:41 pm

It can be hard to find a place that will accept pets considering how picky most landlords are now. People take their pets out to the country side and let them loose hoping someone near there will take them in. I know I've done it with tons of cats and they always end up at peoples homes I know in the area Very Happy Razz
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Trials and tribulations Pets are facing   Trials and tribulations Pets are facing Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 12:43 pm

We live in the country, but where we live it is a desert. The area is plagued with coyotes, rattlesnakes, eagles, hawks and buzzards, just to name a few.

When pets are dropped off in our area, they are seen by predatory animals as a food source, and usually make a nice meal for one of them if not many of them.

People need to think twice before doing that. Many times we have had to clean up carcases that are left after the feast is over, it is not pretty nor do we enjoy doing it.

Small animals especially kittens do not last long. Between the horrible heat of the desert floor, the lack of water, and the preditors their life expectancy is less than 24 hours. To a buzzard, a hawk or an eagle they look like a rat/mouse.

Just last week one of my neighbors rang my door bell, there was an emanciated dog under one of my trees, she got a lease from my, and coaxed it out of the area he was hiding in, he had been attacked it appear by either an eagle or a buzzard, he had gapping wounds on his backs, his paws were woren and he was dehydrated. She took him home to her house and has been nursing him back to health, she has had a high vet bill for stiches and medicine. While the dog is doing better and more than likely she will be adding to her home with another dog, he is tramatized and frightened to be around anyone and away from her. This is one of the lucky ones - most don't live longer than a night. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trials and tribulations Pets are facing   Trials and tribulations Pets are facing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trials and tribulations Pets are facing
Page 1 of 1