Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

She still claws the couch

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lizd
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-09-19

She still claws  the couch Empty
PostSubject: She still claws the couch   She still claws  the couch Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 2:39 pm

ALthough our cat is seven, she still has a thing for tearing up the corners of our couch. Because our couch is old and pretty torn up from her, we'd like to buy a new one. However, I'm afraid to spend all that money on new furniture just so she can tear it to shreads in a week's time.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had any luck getting a tear-happy cat to stop this behavior? FYI, in our case, spraying her with a spray bottle does no good.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: She still claws the couch   She still claws  the couch Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 8:04 pm

The age of the cat does not matter, they do not grow out of scratching - it is a natural behavior that helps them to sharpen their claws. You can try buying a scratching post, clipping the cat's claws, or using SoftPaws - plastic claw caps that are glued on the cat's claws.
Back to top Go down
aclowers
I am a
I am a
aclowers

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-10-01

PostSubject: Re: She still claws the couch   She still claws  the couch Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 12:26 pm

Wow, I have never heard of putting plastic claw clips on them. Has anyone done that personally? I don't mean you, but your cat of course. Razz Our two older cats literally scratched the stuffing off our couches. We also wanted to get new furniture and have considered having them declawed. But, that's probably a different thread. Anyway, they wouldn't use any standard scratching post. But, we bought one that was apparently treated with cat nip. They haven't tried scratching the furniture since. Every once in a while we will put a little cat nip on it, just to encourage them to keep using it instead of the furniture.
Back to top Go down
Froix
I am a
I am a
Froix

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: She still claws the couch   She still claws  the couch Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 6:07 pm

There's your solution. Get a scratching post, flavor it with catnip and stay with the water bottle spray to keep your cat off the couches. That should teach your cat. Our cat does the same and while our couch are still not torn up it's got lots of scratch marks. They just love stretching their claws.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: She still claws the couch   She still claws  the couch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

She still claws the couch
Page 1 of 1