Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Pet Jealousy

Go down 
+9
Brandbla8
giay
KrisNY
sanju123
RustyK
crimson
ken7700
LissyS
Simplyme
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 5:57 am

How do you deal with pet jealousy? I have two dogs that get along ok and neither are aggressive towards cats at all but I have strays that come in to eat and I am finding when this happens I am getting the cold shoulder from my dogs. Should I stop allowing my strays in or is there something else I can do to eliminate the jealousy?
Back to top Go down
LissyS
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 10:44 pm

I don't think this case is bad enough to worry about. The dogs kind of indicate that they don't like you feeding strays, but then I suppose they get over it soon enough?

Last edited by LissyS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ken7700
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 9:20 am

They just do not like the competition for your affection. By letting them in they feel they are getting less attention. I tink it should be okay though.
Back to top Go down
LissyS
I am a
I am a

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 7:48 pm

I also think that dogs (and ther pets) need to know "who's the boss" - or the pack leader. Smile If the pack leader decides to let strays in, the rest of the pack must accept it.
Back to top Go down
crimson
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 9:53 pm

Dogs knows how to get jealous. But you have to let them feel that they are still your priority. Just let them be, in time they will forget it just as long as you let tme feel you care towards them.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 9:21 pm

My cats are mildly jealous of each other, but they don't fight over it. When I pet one, another often comes over and hints that he could be petted as well. Smile When strays show up and I feed or treat them, my guys watch through the window but never show jealosy. I've got good boys. Smile
Back to top Go down
sanju123
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 11:59 pm

It is a very strange example but it used to happen.There are two cats in our neighbor hood they intrude our yard sometimes, now my dog will welcome one of them but would be jealous of the other. The one he likes will be allowed to even share the food, but the other one will be shooed away.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 10:38 am

I'm wondering if they will get used to it- You didn't bring the cats in to stay- just to feed. I think it's great. Maybe let the dogs around them a bit to see that they aren't going to harm you. Maybe the dogs will come around.
Back to top Go down
giay
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 6:42 am

Never experienced it, I only keep one pet at a time. That's the most I can afford.
Back to top Go down
LissyS
I am a
I am a

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 5:30 pm

I have noticed that my cats are very interested when I feed strays, but in a different way: two just want to watch how the strays eat, and the third one keeps hissing at them, making sure everyone knows he disapproves. Smile
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 7:01 am

lol@ Lissy- Letting you know that he disapproves of feeding the strays. How funny is that!
We have seen another cat out back late at night- I hope it's not a stray- We already have 1 older cat and 2 kittens.
Back to top Go down
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 9:25 am

My pets are very jealous. We have to take turns playing with them or they get ill.
Back to top Go down
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 8:53 am

One of my dogs only gets jealous when I play with a young kid. She gets really upset about that for some reason.
Back to top Go down
alcher_27
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 3:23 am

I adopted a four-year old male dog, and I was hoping he would be friendly with the pack. But it turned out that he got vicious when the older dog competed for the attention of the females in heat. He disrupted the status quo; I kept the older one away so the newbie could get used to the rest. I just sighed and said to myself: "Dogs will be dogs".
Back to top Go down
aclowers
I am a
I am a
aclowers

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 11:01 am

We finally had to get rid of a kitten after six months of trying to get her to fit in. One of the older cats accepted her and the other one never did. She was jealous if her brother played with the kitten or if the kids played with her. We thought she would eventually accept her, but after six months of hissing at her and attacking her, we finally had to give the kitten to a new home. It was definitely a case of jealousy. The older cat has been fine since we took the catalyst out of the situation. We miss her, but felt that since we have had the older one so long, we needed to keep her.
Back to top Go down
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 11:32 am

What a shame about the kitten. It must have really hurt you to have to give the kitten away.
Back to top Go down
manojjonam10
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 5:49 am

The best thing you can do is to have a separate eating place for stray dogs. Because most of the pets have these kind of jealous feeling and it is natural.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pet Jealousy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Jealousy   Pet Jealousy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pet Jealousy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Goofy Newfies & Friends :: Pets :: 4 Legged Pets-
Jump to: