Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Escaping the Yard

Go down 
+2
Topdog
mandiees
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mandiees
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Escaping the Yard Empty
PostSubject: Escaping the Yard   Escaping the Yard Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 5:33 pm

What are your options for a dog that is an escape artist and can get out of any yard? Do you think an Xpen would work for a dog like this, or is the only option to keep them crated inside the house while you are gone?
Back to top Go down
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Escaping the Yard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Escaping the Yard   Escaping the Yard Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 10:14 pm

Huuuum

I have heard that underground wire works well.
We keep our dogs all in their kennels inside while we are working.
It is a routine for them. They get out in the morning while we are getting ready for work, then when we need to leave, they get a snackie, when we get home they are out of their kennels until bedtime, then back in kennels. But our fence is all block and we are on 3/4 of an acre so there is plenty of room for them to roam. They haven't tried escaping ... yet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Escaping the Yard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Escaping the Yard   Escaping the Yard Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 6:39 pm

Our neighbors have put in this "invisible fence" for their dog, and it works very well. The dog knows where she cannot go and never attempts to cross those lines. She runs in the yard freely but always stops and turns around when she gets close to the fence.
Back to top Go down
ken7700
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Escaping the Yard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Escaping the Yard   Escaping the Yard Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 11:04 am

I would try tyhe invisible fence as well. Dogs tend to love to run and no fence up may take away the desire to get oput from them.
Back to top Go down
Orrymain
I am a
I am a
Orrymain

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Escaping the Yard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Escaping the Yard   Escaping the Yard Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 5:56 am

Figure out where and how you're dog is getting out and then dog-proof it, if possible. Years ago, we have a beagle who was a digger. She got out all the time. The solution was to make the digging impossible via cement blocks or other obstacles. Many years later, I had a beagle who was the total opposite -- instead of digging, she was a jumper, and boy, could she jump high. The solution there was to make sure there was absolutely nothing by the fence that she could jump up on. We had to pull everything back and make sure it was several feet away from the fence.
Back to top Go down
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Escaping the Yard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Escaping the Yard   Escaping the Yard Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 6:17 pm

I know typically dogs that seem to be able to get out of anywhere are usually dealing with fences that are too short or do not extend into the ground. (Obviously there are other ways too) if that is what you are dealing with though then an Xpen may actually not be a bad idea. Crating them all day I would use as a last resort if it is use to being outside but I say do what you have to do to make sure he's safe when you are gone even if that means crating him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Escaping the Yard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Escaping the Yard   Escaping the Yard Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Escaping the Yard
Page 1 of 1