Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Deworming medication?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LissyS
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Deworming medication? Empty
PostSubject: Deworming medication?   Deworming medication? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 1:23 pm

I have found out that the stray kitty we feed has worms. What is the best de-worming solution you can recommend? I have heard there is one in powder form, you just sprinkle in on food, and the kitty will eat it all up, but I do not know how it's called.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Deworming medication?   Deworming medication? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:08 pm

I've always gone to the vet and gotten whatever they give us. You have to be careful as there are different types of worms. You want to be sure you are getting the right kind of medicine for the right worm. I'd call the vet and explain what the worm looks like and they can tell you what it is.

I know Wal-Mart sells medicines too- and it's cheaper then most vets.
Back to top Go down
LissyS
I am a
I am a

PostSubject: Re: Deworming medication?   Deworming medication? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:12 pm

I already looked at Walmart, they didn't have anything except some product by Hartz, and I don't trust that brand. Their flea treating products do not work and can be dangerous.
Back to top Go down
melodious
I am a
I am a
melodious

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Deworming medication?   Deworming medication? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:14 pm

KrisNY wrote:
I've always gone to the vet and gotten whatever they give us. You have to be careful as there are different types of worms. You want to be sure you are getting the right kind of medicine for the right worm. I'd call the vet and explain what the worm looks like and they can tell you what it is.

This is good advice. If you can't afford a full veterinary workup (which is likely in this economy), there may be a low-cost clinic in your area that can help. Some of the low cost mobile veterinary clinics that set up in the parking lots of suburban shopping areas in some communities on the weekends offer deworming in addition to vaccinations.

A few years ago my neighbor and I split the costs for deworming and vaccinations of a stray cat we were feeding. We also treated him for fleas with a prescription flea treatment from the same mobile vet unit. With the worms and fleas gone and his vaccines in place, his health improved quickly and we ended up finding a permanent home for him. The total vet bill from the mobile doctor was under $50.

You can try searching for "mobile vet" and your city and state in google; one with a good web site (located in SC) is http://www.petmedmobile.com.
Back to top Go down
http://www.artistic-lemonade.com
LissyS
I am a
I am a

PostSubject: Re: Deworming medication?   Deworming medication? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 8:35 pm

Thank you for the great tip melodious! I did not know such a thing as a mobile bet hospital even existed. I will go check whether there is one anywhere close to our area...
Back to top Go down
HardworkinMom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Deworming medication?   Deworming medication? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 1:30 pm

I would not trust myself to actually be the one to give out the deworming meds. I might just overdo it and my pet would drop dead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deworming medication?   Deworming medication? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deworming medication?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Goofy Newfies & Friends :: Pet Care :: Pet Care-
Jump to: