Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Pet Pigeons

Go down 
+2
Dee
skatss
6 posters
AuthorMessage
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Pet Pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Pet Pigeons   Pet Pigeons Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 1:51 pm

Does anyone keep pigeons as pets? I live in NYC and the last thing I would do is to have a pigeon as a pet but I have heard that many people do like them. Some people put up a pigeon coop on their roof and keep them there. I still think of them as very dirty but I think that's because I only see the dirty ones on the streets.

Does anyone keep a pigeon as a pet and are they good pets?
Back to top Go down
Dee
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Pet Pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Pigeons   Pet Pigeons Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 4:10 pm

My grandfather use to keep them and race them, he had a large coup in his garden and every now and again he would bring them somewhere far let them fly away and they always found their way home, he had ones he raced too. They could be smelly but not dirty once they are looked after they are OK.
Back to top Go down
andasay
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Pet Pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Pigeons   Pet Pigeons Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 2:25 pm

I believe there is a lot of money to be made in pigeon racing. Some of the birds themselves can cost too.

I don't like them myself. i have only ever seen them on the street eating everyone elses crumbs.
Back to top Go down
senecaz
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Pet Pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Pigeons   Pet Pigeons Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 9:52 pm

i haven't seen them racing, but i want to. We had love birds but got out of the cage and never came back. sob.
Back to top Go down
HardworkinMom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Pet Pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Pigeons   Pet Pigeons Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 11:22 pm

I was in Mexico once and I saw some pigeons racing. I think in some countries they are bred to do just that. Pigeons have a great homing sensor so you know that even if they fly off...they will always come back to you.
Back to top Go down
manojjonam10
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Pet Pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Pigeons   Pet Pigeons Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 4:08 am

My sister loves to keep pigeons. I think it is a nice thing to do. She had enough enough space in her garden to have pigeons and she has a cage set for them which they consider it as a home. The main disadvantage in keeping pigeons is that they make the place dirty if there is no adequate space to have them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pet Pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Pigeons   Pet Pigeons Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pet Pigeons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Goofy Newfies & Friends :: Pets :: Feathery Friends-
Jump to: