Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Stray dog--what needs to be done?

Go down 
+8
jimmys devoted
giay
Florentin
hoygirl
Brandbla8
bubble
DianaR
dreamr802
12 posters
AuthorMessage
dreamr802
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Stray dog--what needs to be done? Empty
PostSubject: Stray dog--what needs to be done?   Stray dog--what needs to be done? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 3:55 pm

I found a stray dog in my neighborhood. I want to find him so then I can bring him home and keep him. What else do I need to do other than taking the dog to the vet? I doubt his owner is looking for him, we've been feeding him for the past 2 weeks and haven't seen any posters.
Back to top Go down
DianaR
I am a
I am a
DianaR

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Stray dog--what needs to be done?   Stray dog--what needs to be done? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 12:52 pm

As far as I know, shots and licensing is all you really need do to make him officially yours. If he has been nappy to stay with you, his heart is probably already yours!
Back to top Go down
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84

PostSubject: Re: Stray dog--what needs to be done?   Stray dog--what needs to be done? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 2:01 pm

I would say that apart from a visit to the vet, he could probably do with a good bath, a collar and lots of affection.
Back to top Go down
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Stray dog--what needs to be done?   Stray dog--what needs to be done? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 12:24 pm

I would agree with all the above as well as a bath. bounce I know that you will show this dog all kinds of love.
Back to top Go down
hoygirl
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Stray dog--what needs to be done?   Stray dog--what needs to be done? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 8:30 am

I think you need to have the vet check for a chip to see if the owners are really looking for him. If they are not taking care of him I would look into keeping him. I had a stray hang around our house and I did the same thing. I fed her and eventually took her in. I saw no signs anywhere. Well a year later some lady saw the dog with one of my kids and said the dog was hers and took her back. She accused us of stealing her dog because WE didn`t put up signs. If I had been here I wouldn`t have let her take the dog until I found out if she really was hers and why was she loose with no tags.
Back to top Go down
Florentin
I am a
I am a
Florentin

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Stray dog--what needs to be done?   Stray dog--what needs to be done? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 2:29 am

I agree about the chip.

not all owners will take the time to post a poster.
it doesn't mean they don't care - maybe they are assuming the dog will turn up somewhere, especially since it has (or it might have) an identity chip installed.

the right thing to do is call the local animal shelter, and at least let them know you have the dog, just in case the owners contact them.
Back to top Go down
giay
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Stray dog--what needs to be done?   Stray dog--what needs to be done? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 8:36 am

it is best to inform local authorities about the dog before you keep it. just in case, it will be saddening that after some time you have kept it and learn to loved him someone will lay claim as the owner. better be safe Smile
Back to top Go down
jimmys devoted
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: We have Sugar that way   Stray dog--what needs to be done? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 6:18 pm

Sugar was a stray that found his way here due to Flower.
He was so skinny, so emaciated. We left food for him and at first my hubby was goign to get rid of him but then a kiss from Sugar was all it took! Let see that was 4 years ago.
A trip to the vet for shots and a parasite screening they will automatically check for a chip if you call it out that he was a stray. WE never did that with the Sugar. A nice bath with a great shampoo and a blanket of his own and a bowl of his own. And give him a wonderful name he responds to.
A collar if he will wear it and a tag with his identification so he feels a part of the family and happy.

And lots and lots of kisses and belly rubs!
Mazel tov on your new addition and that's one of the biggest deeds you can do!

julie
Back to top Go down
alcher_27
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Stray dog--what needs to be done?   Stray dog--what needs to be done? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 5:47 am

Dogs should be taken cared of, and this applies to strays. All dogs go to heaven; you will meet them again and maybe it is them who would take care of you.
Back to top Go down
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Stray dog--what needs to be done?   Stray dog--what needs to be done? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 6:18 pm

It's nice to want to take in a stray and keep him but be careful at first. Just because you've been feeding him and the dog seems nice I would want to watch him and see how he reacts around people and especially children.

Also, make sure he is a stray and not a lost pet. Don't do anything major to him at first, like fixing him, and don't fall in love with him too much just in case he has owners who are looking for him. Be careful of broken hearts.
Back to top Go down
melodious
I am a
I am a
melodious

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Stray dog--what needs to be done?   Stray dog--what needs to be done? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 8:31 pm

Dogs can roam farther than we think -- someone many miles away could be worried sick about their precious dog, so checking for a chip is important.

Also, I'd recommend keeping the new (stray) dog separate from any other pets until you get a clean bill of health from the vet -- best to keep everyone safe and healthy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.artistic-lemonade.com
Tigger
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Stray dog--what needs to be done?   Stray dog--what needs to be done? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 1:20 pm

I love rescuing strays. The first thing to do is check for a chip. If there isn't one, and you can't find anyone who may have lost a dog, keep them separate from any other pets until you're given a clean bill of health from the vet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stray dog--what needs to be done?   Stray dog--what needs to be done? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stray dog--what needs to be done?
Page 1 of 1