Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Plastic Dangers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
aclowers
I am a
I am a
aclowers

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Plastic Dangers Empty
PostSubject: Plastic Dangers   Plastic Dangers Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 8:39 pm

We went on a walk today and found a plastic 6 pack coke can holder. It was just lying in the woods beside the trail. We picked it up and brought it home to cut it up. I have seen stray cats with these deadly pieces of plastic around their neck. As the animal grows it ends up being strangled as the neck out grows the holes.

I knew there wasn't much of a chance of there being cats in the woods.However the thought that the birds or squirrels might get their head stuck in one of the little holes without any hope of help, worried me. I just wanted to remind everyone, who buys packs of cans to cut up all the holes (big and little) from the plastic holders.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Plastic Dangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Dangers   Plastic Dangers Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 12:27 pm

Litter is a big problem. You would be surprised at what could harm a poor little animal. They have no way of dealing with things like getting things stuck around there neck like a 6 pack holder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wildwoman
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Plastic Dangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Dangers   Plastic Dangers Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 9:30 pm

I know fish get tangled in them as well. It seems like people don't care anymore about the environment or the animals anymore. It was very honorable for you to do that. Just think if everyone pitched in more and did small things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orrymain
I am a
I am a
Orrymain

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Plastic Dangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Dangers   Plastic Dangers Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 6:23 am

I agree. I remember learning about the plastic tie that binds a 6-pack of soft drinks together. I was told to cut those strips to protect the fish, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alcher_27
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Plastic Dangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Dangers   Plastic Dangers Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 9:26 am

How about clear thin plastic bags out there in the seawater? Jellyfish ingest them and die. A lot of man-made objects are hazards to other creatures' safety.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Plastic Dangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Dangers   Plastic Dangers Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 11:31 am

It just shows how selfish many people are. Not only are they ruining the environment but they are also endangering innocent animals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orrymain
I am a
I am a
Orrymain

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Plastic Dangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Dangers   Plastic Dangers Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 7:35 pm

I don't know that it's always people selfish. We need reminders. Quite honestly, I used to get beverages with a lot of 6-pack holders. Then I stopped buying them. It was years before I bought another 6-pack, and I think I did throw a couple away before I remembered about the dangers. That doesn't make me selfish -- I just hadn't used the product in years and then forgot until it just popped up in my brain. There used to be a lot of public service comments about it. Maybe that's where the energy needs to go -- on announcements to remind people of the things that endanger animals, and even kids!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jimmys devoted
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Plastic Dangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Dangers   Plastic Dangers Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 1:29 pm

Lucky for us we cleanup where ever we go nd help with rescues. We also seperate our trashfor recycling . steel cans washed and flattened, aluminum recycled and everyting else thats burnable is burned so I can cook on a wood stove.
Some people think that they are above packing out as it were.
A small drum in your yard and small burnables can hep with a small gardenw ith ash from that can and keep harmful materials out of " babies" ways. At least you can do your part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Plastic Dangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Dangers   Plastic Dangers Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 7:48 am

These six pack holders are very dangerous. My friend's dog ate a piece of one that was cut up and she had to take him to the vet since he started to choke on it. It was just horrible.

I wish people would throw their litter into litter baskets instead of just throwing things on the ground or the grass. Litter isn't just unsafe for our pets but kids too. I've seen so many toddlers wondering around and picking up litter. Aren't there laws about this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tigger
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Plastic Dangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Dangers   Plastic Dangers Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 1:17 pm

One of my cats is one that I found. She just showed up after a storm. She had a six pack holder around her neck, and what's worse, it had writing on it. Apparently, the previous owners were using it as a collar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HardworkinMom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Plastic Dangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Dangers   Plastic Dangers Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 6:36 am

Tigger wrote:
One of my cats is one that I found. She just showed up after a storm. She had a six pack holder around her neck, and what's worse, it had writing on it. Apparently, the previous owners were using it as a collar.

Now that is downright horrible and mean! What were those human beings thinking?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

Plastic Dangers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plastic Dangers   Plastic Dangers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plastic Dangers
Page 1 of 1