Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Fear of Thunder

Go down 
+2
RustyK
Froix
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Froix
I am a
I am a
Froix

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Fear of Thunder Empty
PostSubject: Fear of Thunder   Fear of Thunder Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 6:11 pm

I know lots of dog owners have this problem. One solution I often hear is wrapping the dog in a blanket sort of drown the sound away but dogs do have sensitive hearing. I'd prefer training the dog to a recorded sound of thunder but haven't really tried that one yet. Anyone else having this problem? and how'd you handle it?
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Fear of Thunder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fear of Thunder   Fear of Thunder Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:37 pm

I've had this problem with a cat, he'd run to the basement and hide away. I noticed that he would not be so scared if someone was nearby to reassure him, so when we had a thunderstorm I'd pick him up and keep petting him, telling him that it's okay. It worked, he does not panic anymore when it storms.
Back to top Go down
WaffleStomp
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Fear of Thunder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fear of Thunder   Fear of Thunder Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 12:57 am

RustyK wrote:
I've had this problem with a cat, he'd run to the basement and hide away. I noticed that he would not be so scared if someone was nearby to reassure him, so when we had a thunderstorm I'd pick him up and keep petting him, telling him that it's okay. It worked, he does not panic anymore when it storms.

My cat's don't care about thunder or lighting. My dog, now she flips out! Froix, I do that as well, I wrap the dog in a blanket and let her come on the couch with us and watch some TV, it's good to hug the dog or pet him/her as it will relieve them.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Fear of Thunder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fear of Thunder   Fear of Thunder Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 12:03 pm

I just saw a news report on this last night- they say it's quite common with dogs. Never yell at the dogs when they act up if they are afraid of the storm. Try to comfort them. Yelling will make things worse.
Keep them inside- and talk to them- Pet them... make them feel more safe.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Fear of Thunder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fear of Thunder   Fear of Thunder Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 1:23 pm

KrisNY wrote:
I just saw a news report on this last night- they say it's quite common with dogs. Never yell at the dogs when they act up if they are afraid of the storm. Try to comfort them. Yelling will make things worse.
Keep them inside- and talk to them- Pet them... make them feel more safe.

I can see how yelling will only reinforce their fear. They look up to the owner, and if they see the owner calm and trying to comfort them, they will understand that it's okay. But if the owner is shouting, then something is definitely wrong!
Back to top Go down
Mei
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Fear of Thunder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fear of Thunder   Fear of Thunder Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 1:17 am

some of my dogs are really afraid of the thunder and even fireworks. when this happens, i try to hug them and talk to them. their fear may still be there but at least it does decrease. as long as they see people around them, they won't get scared too much.
Back to top Go down
hoygirl
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Fear of Thunder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fear of Thunder   Fear of Thunder Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 1:33 pm

My chow is scared to death of thunder. If she is outside when the storm starts she absolutly panics. She barks and scratches at the door like crazy. Once she is inside she`s fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fear of Thunder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fear of Thunder   Fear of Thunder Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fear of Thunder
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Goofy Newfies & Friends :: Behavior Problems :: Behavior Problems-
Jump to: