Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

What is Catnip?

Go down 
+2
RustyK
aclowers
6 posters
AuthorMessage
aclowers
I am a
I am a
aclowers

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-10-01

What is Catnip? Empty
PostSubject: What is Catnip?   What is Catnip? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 12:34 pm

What is catnip and is it healthy for your cats? I don't really know, but I do know that my cats love it. If I treat something with catnip, they act like they are in love.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

What is Catnip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Catnip?   What is Catnip? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 3:22 pm

Catnip is a plant, we used to have some growing in our yard; I'd pick fresh leaves and give them to my cats, they love it. I do not know what ingredient makes cats go crazy over catnip, but it is something special in their eyes. Smile Catnip is not harmful for cats. You can buy catnip-stuffed cat toys.
Back to top Go down
Froix
I am a
I am a
Froix

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-07

What is Catnip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Catnip?   What is Catnip? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 5:57 pm

Quote :
"Catnip" is the common name for a perennial herb of the mint family. It is native to Europe and is an import to the United States and other countries. The catnip plant is now a widespread weed in North America.

Although no one knows exactly what happens in the cat's brain, it is known that the chemical nepetalactone in catnip is the thing that triggers the response. Apparently, it somehow kicks off a stereotypical pattern in cats that are sensitive to the chemical. The catnip reaction is inherited, and some cats are totally unaffected by it. Large cats like tigers can be sensitive to it as well.

I've always wondered this myself. From the definition it's sounding more like the plant that gets people high. :p
Back to top Go down
aclowers
I am a
I am a
aclowers

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-10-01

What is Catnip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Catnip?   What is Catnip? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 12:33 pm

Froix wrote:
I've always wondered this myself. From the definition it's sounding more like the plant that gets people high. :p

LOL. Yep, that pretty much explains it. Wink One of my sons today found a pack of unopened cat nip and was asking what to do with it. The 7 year old wanted to know what catnip was for. The older one said " It makes cats all lovey dovey". I love you Razz
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

What is Catnip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Catnip?   What is Catnip? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 4:04 pm

aclowers wrote:
The older one said " It makes cats all lovey dovey". I love you Razz

LOL, that's funny! Very Happy And true, too. My cats do not go all crazy when I give them catnip, they just chew on it and sometimes act more playful they usual, but I had some who'd run around, plop down on the floor and do all kinds of ridiculous stuff. The word "drunk" comes to mind when I think of it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

What is Catnip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Catnip?   What is Catnip? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:45 am

I agree-- its fun to watch cats when playing with catnip toys!
We have a catnip scratching post toy- I love it.. the kittens love it- they sniff it and then scratch it- I think it entices them to scratch there and not on the furniture.
The older cat lays on it and rolls all around! Like she is just in love with it!
Back to top Go down
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

What is Catnip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Catnip?   What is Catnip? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:39 pm

I have never given this to my cats or atleast not that I know of. My husband has wanted to but I wouldn't let him. I am afraid they will get to used it.
Back to top Go down
elvenrunelord
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-09-06

What is Catnip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Catnip?   What is Catnip? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 8:24 pm

Brandbla8 wrote:
I have never given this to my cats or atleast not that I know of. My husband has wanted to but I wouldn't let him. I am afraid they will get to used it.

Oh they will get used to it alright, lol Catnip is the cat marijuana for sure. My cat has been known to sneak off to the local 7/11 and buy a pack of papers in the middle of the might. He is a total HEAD! sunny
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

What is Catnip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Catnip?   What is Catnip? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 9:48 pm

I wonder where your cat gets the money elvenrunelord! Very Happy

I do not think cats can become addicted to catnip. Mine sure do like it, but if I stop giving it to them, they are just fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What is Catnip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Catnip?   What is Catnip? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is Catnip?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Goofy Newfies & Friends :: Pets :: 4 Legged Pets-
Jump to: