Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Financial Woes

Go down 
+6
dreamr802
ken7700
Brandbla8
KrisNY
RustyK
DianaR
10 posters
AuthorMessage
DianaR
I am a
I am a
DianaR

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 11:57 am

With the economy getting tough, many people on fixed incomes can't afford to feed and care for their 4 legged companions, which is devastating.

Are there programs, like meals on wheels, for elderly people's pets? IF so, are there also programs for people who are simply going through tough times and need help?
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 1:33 am

I do not know whether there are such programs... I think it's a great idea to help the elderly to care for their pets! Cat food coupons or something like that would be very good.

I see pets dumped in the nearby cornfield often enough. I guess with the financial difficulties many are facing, it will increase. Sad
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 11:04 am

I don't think there are any programs like this- I imagine not- it's hard enough getting all the people money that need it- let alone their pets.
I think it's a good idea- I bet there are shelters and such that might give out food and such,
I know in my town they have days when you can get your pet shots for free. Rabbies and such.
Back to top Go down
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 10:32 pm

That is great idea. Maybe someone could start in their community a donor place to drop off food to be distributed to homes that need help feeding their animals in times of need.
Back to top Go down
ken7700
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 12:25 pm

This sounds like a great idea and I do not know if any such programs that do it. I think it is a very good idea though.
Back to top Go down
dreamr802
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 9:59 pm

I bet you can go to an animal shelter and tell them that you want to keep your dog but need help. I know the animal shelter by my house will help out with like vet bills and stuff like that. The best bet especially with food would be to buy it in bulk.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 4:17 pm

Our local shelter relies on donations itself, but, knowing the people who work there, I am sure they would find ways to help if an elderly person contacted them. I would love to help such people myself, too, although I am very far from rich.
Back to top Go down
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 9:32 pm

Feeding most dogs does not have to cost a fortune. Here in Thailand people feed their dogs rice with sauce and they seem to do nicely.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 12:25 pm

I didn't think about shelters. I bet they would be able to help- but for how long? I don't know and how many people could they help? With the number of animals getting dropped off at shelters on the rise- I don't think they would have a lot of extra money to help other people.

It's always a good idea to donate to your local pet shelters.
Back to top Go down
ken7700
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 8:38 am

Donating to the local shelters is a great idea and even donating some time is also a great idea. I know the one in my city is always busy and I try to help them out as well.
Back to top Go down
LissyS
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 12:14 am

I've lived through difficult times before, and we always found ways to feed our pets. Sometimes it would be leftovers from what we had, with some additions to stretch it. The pets ate and were fine.
Back to top Go down
lilymom24
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 12:05 pm

I would be devastated if we could not care for our pets and had to find new homes for them Sad If I had the extra money, I would think about sponsering a family for a while in a way such as maybing buying their pets food and paying for any vet bills they incurred .
Back to top Go down
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 8:46 am

We love our dogs so much that I think that we would feed them before we would feed ourselves.
Back to top Go down
melodious
I am a
I am a
melodious

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 9:10 pm

DianaR wrote:
With the economy getting tough, many people on fixed incomes can't afford to feed and care for their 4 legged companions, which is devastating.

Are there programs, like meals on wheels, for elderly people's pets? IF so, are there also programs for people who are simply going through tough times and need help?

In my area, Meals on Wheels will deliver pet food once a month to their clients who receive meals. It helps with the cost and also helps those who can't get out to buy pet food or carry the bags of food. I don't know if other Meals on Wheels programs do this, but people who qualify for the program and who have pets may want to ask about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.artistic-lemonade.com
Sponsored content

Financial Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Financial Woes   Financial Woes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Financial Woes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Goofy Newfies & Friends :: Pets :: 4 Legged Pets-
Jump to: