Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Overweight kitties

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Overweight kitties Empty
PostSubject: Overweight kitties   Overweight kitties Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 4:21 pm

Some people think their overweight cats are cute and do nothing about it. I have one cat who likes his food a bit too much, so I make sure he does not over-eat and stays in shape. I do not want heart troubles and other problems being overweight can cause him. I help him to get regular exercise, too.

Do you watch your cat's weight?
Back to top Go down
DianaR
I am a
I am a
DianaR

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Overweight kitties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight kitties   Overweight kitties Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 12:03 pm

This can be pretty difficult if you are dealing with more than one kitten, but most cat owners here will purchase diet cat food from their vet.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Overweight kitties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight kitties   Overweight kitties Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 1:45 am

I use cat food with a weight control formula, we buy it at Walmart. I have all my three cats on it. They like it, they have no idea it's got less calories. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Overweight kitties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight kitties   Overweight kitties Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 9:34 am

I was going to ask this. My adult cat is getting too fat! We limit her food but she still gets the kittens food. How do we keep her away from it? I don't want to limit the kittens food because they are growing cats.
Back to top Go down
DianaR
I am a
I am a
DianaR

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Overweight kitties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight kitties   Overweight kitties Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 11:22 am

RustyK wrote:
I use cat food with a weight control formula, we buy it at Walmart. I have all my three cats on it. They like it, they have no idea it's got less calories. Very Happy

I didn't know that Walmart carried specialty pet foods. Are these brands like Iams or Science Diet, or are they diet formulas form Friskies and similar popular brands?
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Overweight kitties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight kitties   Overweight kitties Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 12:53 am

DianaR wrote:
RustyK wrote:

I didn't know that Walmart carried specialty pet foods. Are these brands like Iams or Science Diet, or are they diet formulas form Friskies and similar popular brands?

I buy IAMS, Weight & Hairball control. Yes, Walmart carries it. You can choose smaller or larger bags to save more per pound. The largest ones are often sold out, obviously people prefer them because of better price.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Overweight kitties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight kitties   Overweight kitties Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 12:58 am

KrisNY wrote:
I was going to ask this. My adult cat is getting too fat! We limit her food but she still gets the kittens food. How do we keep her away from it? I don't want to limit the kittens food because they are growing cats.

I would suggest set feeding times, 2-3 times a day. Give the big kitty her food and give the kittens their kitten food. I would watch them eat so that she does not switch to their food when she is done with hers. It is a tough thing to do, she will beg for more, but you have to be firm.
Back to top Go down
WaffleStomp
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Overweight kitties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight kitties   Overweight kitties Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 1:09 am

RustyK wrote:
KrisNY wrote:

I would suggest set feeding times, 2-3 times a day. Give the big kitty her food and give the kittens their kitten food. I would watch them eat so that she does not switch to their food when she is done with hers. It is a tough thing to do, she will beg for more, but you have to be firm.

Definitely, I used to have a 16 year old cat that was about 18 pounds, she ate out of the kittens bowl all the time and out of her bowl, the thing died a few month's ago, we tried to regulate its food but it was very sick anyway so we just let her go down with all the food she wanted peacefully.
Back to top Go down
aclowers
I am a
I am a
aclowers

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Overweight kitties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight kitties   Overweight kitties Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 6:42 pm

WaffleStomp wrote:
Definitely, I used to have a 16 year old cat that was about 18 pounds, she ate out of the kittens bowl all the time and out of her bowl, the thing died a few month's ago, we tried to regulate its food but it was very sick anyway so we just let her go down with all the food she wanted peacefully.

I am so sorry for your loss. I know it can be very difficult losing a companion after so many years. I am glad you still have other cats to help fill the void. But, still I know it is hard.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Overweight kitties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight kitties   Overweight kitties Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 6:20 am

Only problem with feeding at different times is that I'm at work during the day so I leave the kitten food down. I'm sure the older cat gets it when we are gone. I would hate for the kittens to not be able to eat though when we are at work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Overweight kitties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overweight kitties   Overweight kitties Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overweight kitties
Page 1 of 1