Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ?

Go down 
+6
RastaKid
shruti
skatss
Dolphy
shinningstar
Topdog
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ? Empty
PostSubject: What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ?   What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 9:27 am

When a family decides on a pet bird, with young children in their family, what is the best kind of bird to get ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
shinningstar
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ?   What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 1:01 am

I think it's a very good idea to start having a parrot. It's very easy to take care a parrot because most parrot's eat seeds, nuts, fruit, buds and other plant material. You can even train them to talk like humans.
Back to top Go down
Dolphy
I am your
I am your
Dolphy

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ?   What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:35 pm

Hello All,
I have had birds for years from budgies to cockatoos. Actually the best birds for children to start out with are either budgies or cockatiels. They are smaller and easier for children to handle and hold. The size isn't too intimidating at first. flower
Back to top Go down
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ?   What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 1:14 pm

Birds are good pets for kids but are they hard to take care of and keep clean? Do they also need time to come out of their cages to fly around? I have a friend who has a bird and every so often she lets the bird fly in her living room.
Back to top Go down
Dolphy
I am your
I am your
Dolphy

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ?   What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 9:43 am

Hellooo....
Yes Birds are messy... no getting out of that. You can expect bird seed outside cages etc. About letting birds fly around. Well it really is up to the owner, but if you do allow birds to fly, there is always a risk of them getting out of the house when there is an open door. I myself, I clip my birds' wings now. Just because I have lost a bird that got outside the door when it was opened. I was going out the door to check the BBQ. Then there was a noise in the house and it spooked my bird. Naturally it comes to me when it is scared. My other half yelled the bird's name and that is when I realized the bird was following me. I tried to close the screen door before he got out, but all I could see was the bird flying right by my head on its way out. I tried to grab the tail feathers but was not successful. So, see, even when you think a bird will not get out of the house and that is exactly what I thought also, there is always that chance.
You have to really love birds to have them for pets. They are great companionship. The other side of it is they are messy and depending on what kind of bird you get, they can be noisy. Now if you love birds and can put up with their mess and noise, they are fantastic pets. They are a lot of work, but to me it is worth it. Birds do not eat just seed either. They do love to eat what we eat also. But you have to watch what you feed them. Because chocolate is also harmful for birds. And they shouldn't have avocados. But they need a wide variety of foods also. Lots of fresh fruit and veggies.
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I have had birds over 25 years now.
Back to top Go down
shruti
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ?   What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 11:13 am

I prefer parrot.
Back to top Go down
RastaKid
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-09-01

PostSubject: Re: What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ?   What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 4:57 pm

Starting with a parrot is a very good idea, because it's pretty easy to take care of a parrot.They eat bird seeds and stuff like vegetables, but I have to warn you they make a pretty big mess.
Back to top Go down
wildwoman
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ?   What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 7:19 pm

When I was growing up I had to Myna birds,not sure how much they cost. They were both black and could talk and were wonderful birds.
Back to top Go down
Florentin
I am a
I am a
Florentin

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ?   What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 2:38 am

I would say get the basic parrot
they usually sell for like $9

you will also need to spend on a cage, food, and other supplies.
about $100 altogether I think
Back to top Go down
manojjonam10
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ?   What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 6:40 am

I think parrot would be a good choice. Since most of the parrots are harmless and not aggressive, they can be a good addition to the family with small kids.
Back to top Go down
sanju123
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ?   What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 8:05 am

Parrots are supposed to be best starter bird pets, they are cute, adorable and docile and above all they are easy to bee trained. Mostly people opt for parrots as pets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ?   What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is the best kind of bird to get for a starter bird ?
Page 1 of 1