Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Share | 

Fresh Water fish: Tetras

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: Fresh Water fish: Tetras   Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:53 am

Tetra are species of small South American freshwater fish, belonging to the family Characidae and to its former subfamilies Alestiidae (the "African tetras") and Lebiasinidae.

The characidae are distinguished from other fish by the presence of a small adipose fin between the dorsal fin and caudal fin.

Many of these, such as the neon tetra, are brightly colored and easy to keep in captivity, and extremely popular for home aquaria.

The term tetra is not actually a taxonomic, phylogenetic term. Because of the popularity of tetras in the fishkeeping hobby, many unrelated fish are commonly known as tetras, including species from differing families.

Even fish that are vastly different may be called tetras, such as Hydrolycus scomberoides, occasionally known as the Sabretooth Tetra or vampire tetra.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.toxicwars.com
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: Neon Tetras great for a beginning tank   Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:55 am

The neon tetra (Paracheirodon innesi) is a freshwater fish of the characin family (family Characidae) of order Characiformes.

The type species of its genus, it is native to blackwater or clearwater streams in southeastern Colombia, eastern Peru, and western Brazil, including the tributaries of the Solimões where the water is between 20–26°C.[1]

It is not found in the whitewater rivers of Andean origin. Its bright colouring makes the fish visible to conspecifics in the dark blackwater streams,[citation needed] and is also the main reason for its popularity as a tropical fish.

The Neon Tetra has a light-blue back over a silver-white abdomen. The fish is characterized by an iridescent blue horizontal stripe along each side of the fish from its nose to the base of the adipose fin, and an iridescent red stripe that begins at the middle of the body and extends posteriorly to the base of the caudal fin.

Most, if not all, will develop a olive green sheen lining their backs. The fish is completely transparent (including fins) except for these markings. During the night,the blue and red become silver as the fish rests—it reactivates once it becomes active in the morning. It grows to approximately 3 cm (1.25 in) in overall length.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.toxicwars.com
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Fresh Water fish: Tetras   Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:34 pm

My used to have a pet shop and sold a lot of those fish. Kids especially enjoyed them for there colors and the glow factor I call it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpoiledAngel_
I am a
I am a
SpoiledAngel_

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Fresh Water fish: Tetras   Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:07 pm

I really love these type of fish. Our pediatricians office has them and gave my son one years ago with a little aquarium set up. Unfortunately, we had to move and Casper couldn't come with us. :-(
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Fresh Water fish: Tetras   Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:34 am

Are these type of fish expensive as I think that my son would love to have some.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fresh Water fish: Tetras   

Back to top Go down

Fresh Water fish: Tetras
Page 1 of 1