Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Goldfish as started pets

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Goldfish as started pets Empty
PostSubject: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Goldfish were my starter pet as a young child. They have moved me to where we are now, we have a Koi pond with some $$ Koi. Who knew that having a little gold fish would lead me down the path we are on.

Gold fish are easy to adopt as pets, but if not taken care of properly, they usually are buried at sea.

We started out with goldfish in a bowl. Those didn't have a long survival time. The bowl usually became rank, and boy that smell when it had to be cleaned. As I grew older I found that an aquarium helped to prolong the life of my little pet. I learned over the years of having my little scaley friends that if they were over fed, the bowl would get nasty. Long story short. Goldfish make good starter pets, but beware of what it grows into.

Goldfish as started pets Koi10
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.toxicwars.com
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 10:07 am

I started with goldfish too- I had a hard time killing them. They are so easy to take care of- making them the perfect pets for smaller kids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 10:36 am

When I was in high school I won a gold fish at a fair that the school held. I brought the fish home and my father adopted it. Mind you, I wanted to take care of the fish but my dad grabbed it as his own. He named that gold fish Freddie and put him in one of my mother's baking dishes.

Everyday my dad would feed it, clean the water, exercise Freddie by having him swim around. My dad loved Freddie. After about 8 weeks Freddie died and my dad was so upset. He kept saying, "No more pets, no more pets." It was kind of funny and sad at the same time.

But a gold fish is a good started pet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oigen
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 2:43 pm

Gold fish are easy to take care of, they're not pretentious at all, from what I've heard...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RastaKid
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 5:00 pm

I had a gold fish for a pet when i was younger, but it died and my mother flushed it away. I felt really sorry for the gold fish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 1:37 pm

My mother in-law has a nice pond on her back deck with many gold fish in it. Even during the winter the top of the water will be frozen and you can see them swimming underneath.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 12:14 pm

Brandbla8 wrote:
My mother in-law has a nice pond on her back deck with many gold fish in it. Even during the winter the top of the water will be frozen and you can see them swimming underneath.

We don't live anywhere near snow ( Sad ) but I know our guys now it is getting cooler are starting to do more swimming, it is amazing how much larger they are this year from last time I saw them in the spring. Because it is so HOT here they hide under the bamboo and lilies during the day and come out after the water cools down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.toxicwars.com
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am

My firsdt pet was a goldfish, and my daughter has had goldfish too, but we have not had much luck with them. We have had three altogether, of which the first lasted longest just 3 months and the last one we had just three days before he died and was flushed away. Could this be due to the hot weather we had?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dreamr802
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 10:21 pm

I use to have goldfish when I was younger...but they ALWAYS died really fast...and because of the fact that they died so fast that made my parents check the water and then we had learned that we had severely hard water and that is what was killing the fish...after learning that we used bottle water and they lived longer. It was a miracle! LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 3:58 am

The first pets I ever had were a pair of goldfish. I am not sure what I did wrong but I woke up one morning and both were dead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Florentin
I am a
I am a
Florentin

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 9:09 am

the problem with goldfish and beginners is that they get pretty dirty, pretty fast.
I mean, they make a lot of mess, and require either a VERY GOOD filter, or numerous tank cleanings.

I had goldfish, and they are great looking, but too much work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
manojjonam10
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 4:24 am

Everyone would like to start with gold fish. Many of my friends started with gold fish and they now have an aquarium with complex kind of fishes. As the years passed my interest in gold fish started to fade away to other kinds of fishes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
antkmom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 9:02 am

I totally agree that goldfish are great starter pets. They usually have them as a prize during the summertime at the different fairs and my kids always try to win them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
senecaz
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 8:42 pm

i really don't like goldfish to be as starter pets in an aquarium. I'd much rather recommend guppy's as they can be less of a hassle than goldfish especially most of the ones i've 'formerly" owned just gobbles up pebbles and makes a blurry mess on the water.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Goldfish as started pets   Goldfish as started pets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Goldfish as started pets
Page 1 of 1