Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Compulsive Licking

Go down 
+2
Simplyme
RustyK
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Compulsive Licking Empty
PostSubject: Compulsive Licking   Compulsive Licking Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 7:59 pm

Has anyone had to deal with a compulsive licking? That's when a cat or a dog overgrooms itself, licking a certain spot so long and so hard that the fur comes off, and sometimes the spot becomes raw. Sometimes it is caused by skin irritation, sometimes by stress or boredom. There can be different reasons, and the cycle is hard to stop.
Back to top Go down
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Compulsive Licking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compulsive Licking   Compulsive Licking Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 2:07 am

We had a cat at the rescue I use to volunteer at that was put on Prednisone for this type of condition. Every now and again she would just go on a licking frenzy and would end up with nasty wounds. On the medication though she seems to be doing a whole lot better.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Compulsive Licking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compulsive Licking   Compulsive Licking Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 6:30 pm

Poor kitty, I can't help wondering what exactly makes her decide to suddenly lick herself so hard... Did she have to be on that medication permanently? How often did she have to take it?
Back to top Go down
Froix
I am a
I am a
Froix

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Compulsive Licking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compulsive Licking   Compulsive Licking Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 6:02 pm

Haha Reading the thread title I was thinking dogs who loves to lick your face, hands or what. Compulsive licking. lol!

Fortunately for us this problem never came up and we've had lots of cats and dogs.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Compulsive Licking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compulsive Licking   Compulsive Licking Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 9:55 pm

LOL, I suppose that can be described as compulsive licking as well Froix! Smile And some dogs sure do that. I suspect that some dog owners like it, too. Smile
Back to top Go down
hoygirl
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Compulsive Licking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compulsive Licking   Compulsive Licking Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 1:36 pm

Yep that would be my chow. She will lick your arm,leg,hand, anywhere as long as you let her. I guess she likes the salt in our skin, I don`t know. It can drive you nuts too. lol
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Compulsive Licking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compulsive Licking   Compulsive Licking Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 4:33 pm

I think with dogs, it's how they show love and affection. Cats rarely lick people, they prefer to purr, cuddle, and rub against you. Sometimes they also give "love bites."
Back to top Go down
DianaR
I am a
I am a
DianaR

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Compulsive Licking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compulsive Licking   Compulsive Licking Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 1:33 pm

It sounds like there may be a skin condition leading to the licking. Unfortunately, it my be impossible to find out exactly what it is, and then find the appropriate treatment.

If the licking is disturbing, a vet may suggest Prednisone but they might also suggest some sort of mild tranquilizer to interrupt the compulsive behavior.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Compulsive Licking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compulsive Licking   Compulsive Licking Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 6:00 pm

First, they need to rule out fleas, skin irritation, allergy, and internal problems that might cause pain and make the animal try to like the spot. This may require a lot of tests.
Back to top Go down
antkmom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Compulsive Licking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compulsive Licking   Compulsive Licking Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 8:51 am

The dog that I had growing up use to do this in the winter months. I think it was from skin irritation. She would have a bare bottom! We took her to the vet and he gave us something to use. I really can't remember what, but it helped.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Compulsive Licking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compulsive Licking   Compulsive Licking Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Compulsive Licking
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Goofy Newfies & Friends :: Behavior Problems :: Behavior Problems-
Jump to: