Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Baby with a cat

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lizd
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Baby with a cat Empty
PostSubject: Baby with a cat   Baby with a cat Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 12:28 pm

Are there any parents on here that have a cat? My husband and I are planning on starting a family and we have one cat. Please don't think for one second that I am willing to give up my cat ... I'm just wondering with all the old wives tales if anybody took extra precautions when bringing a baby home with a cat in the family.
Back to top Go down
RustyK
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Baby with a cat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby with a cat   Baby with a cat Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 7:48 pm

We have three cats, and we are thinking about having a baby as well! Smile I don't believe any of the old wives tales, we have not even discussed the issue because it is not an issue for us. Our cats are clean, healthy, indoor-only cats. I don't think there will be any problems.
Back to top Go down
sanju123
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Baby with a cat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby with a cat   Baby with a cat Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 12:07 am

There is no problem with cats around, as far as they are indoor ones but one thing has to be taken care of that you need to train them as to how to react to the new guest of your family.
Back to top Go down
bubble
I am a
I am a
bubble

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Baby with a cat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby with a cat   Baby with a cat Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:44 am

I have a baby, and a cat. Our cat likes to leap up on you and sit on you etc, as do many house cats, you just need to keep the cat away from the baby in these circumstances, to make sure that the cat does not pounce on the baby. Also make sure the cat knows that babys bedroom is out of bounds. For outside, you can buy a mosquito net to cover the baby in the pram, which acts as a barrier and the cat, well my cat, does not jump up into the pram at all.

Never leave the cat alone in a room with the baby, althought your cat will mean no harm, they could accidentally scratch or frighten your baby.
Back to top Go down
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Baby with a cat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby with a cat   Baby with a cat Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:40 am

I don;t believe in old wives tales for a moment, but there are a few real concerns about having a cat and a baby. Especially since your cat is the first born so to speak.

You will have to introduce your cat to the baby when it comes in steps in order to make sure that the baby will be safe from a cat who, after all, was there first.

Listen to the previously writer who has a baby and a cat. All her ideas are great.

I'd also put the cat into its own room for a while when the baby gets home. Let it get used to the smells and sounds before you introduce them. Also take a lot do time to reassure your cat that he is still loved and adored!

You might really do well to get some books on this subject and to do a lot of research. Though wives tales are silly, there are a few dangers to a baby from a cat that simply has to do with how an animal see its home.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Baby with a cat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby with a cat   Baby with a cat Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baby with a cat
Page 1 of 1