Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Doggy Doors

Go down 
+2
Simplyme
mandiees
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mandiees
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Doggy Doors Empty
PostSubject: Doggy Doors   Doggy Doors Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 5:16 pm

We have been thinking for awhile about installing a doggy door so our dogs can come and go as they please during the day - anyone have experience using one? My only reservation is that they will abuse it and run outside whenever they think they hear something or want to bark at the neighbor, is there any training that can be done with the door to let them know its only for potty breaks?
Back to top Go down
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Doggy Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggy Doors   Doggy Doors Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 5:43 am

I know that there are trainers that can assist with things like this though I would not know how to do it at home. I know that most doggy doors come with some sort of locking device and you could lock it at certain times and unlock it maybe after they have eaten and late at night etc. Good luck !
Back to top Go down
mandiees
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 171

Doggy Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggy Doors   Doggy Doors Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 3:46 pm

That would be great - I guess I need some sort of 'high tech' doggy door.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255

Doggy Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggy Doors   Doggy Doors Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 10:45 am

Cool a high tech doggie door. That would be my worry too- that they could just run out it when they heard someone pull in the driveway.
I do think it's a good idea to have a doggie door though- gives them a bit mroe freedom. As long as you have boundaries set up- so they can't just go roaming anywhere.
Back to top Go down
ken7700
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Doggy Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggy Doors   Doggy Doors Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 9:22 am

I have one that goes out in the yard, but the yard is fenced in. It works well for me as the dogs can not go anywhere but the yard.
Back to top Go down
sanju123
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Doggy Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggy Doors   Doggy Doors Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 7:15 am

I have a dog house for my dog in the yard and it is fenced from all sides. My dog do come inside the house but most of the times it prefers its house and the yard.
Back to top Go down
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115

Doggy Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggy Doors   Doggy Doors Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 7:24 am

Make sure the doggie door can be locked. I have seen it where other animals got into the house through the doggie doors and the family had to call the cops to get the other animal out.

I also wouldn't want my dogs to go out whenever they felt like it -- unless I had a big yard with a good fence and they couldn't get out of it in any way.

If your dogs aren't used to running outside on their own, unless you want to spend a lot of time training them to behave without you around, doggie doors might not be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Doggy Doors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doggy Doors   Doggy Doors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Doggy Doors
Page 1 of 1