Goofy Newfies & Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goofy Newfies & Friends

A Brand New Family Oriented discussion forum for Pet Lovers

HomeAd HeavenGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ADS
Search Engines

A global Family oriented forum, for the discussion of family pets.

Ads

SeaBear Smokehouse

Wolfgang's Vault

Netflix, Inc.

Real Goods Solar, Inc.

LiveAquaria.com
Donations

Adopt a Pet

Sierra Club

Hermit Crabs

Go down 
+7
Brandbla8
sanju123
Simplyme
shruti
skatss
Dolphy
Topdog
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Topdog
Admin
Admin
Topdog

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Hermit Crabs Empty
PostSubject: Hermit Crabs   Hermit Crabs Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 9:32 pm

Caribbean hermit crab
Quote :
From Wikipedia
Land hermit crabThe Caribbean hermit crab (Coenobita clypeatus), also known as the tree crab, the tree-climbing crab, the soldier crab, and the purple pincher, is a species of land hermit crab which lives in the Arabian Sea, the Caribbean Sea, southern Florida, Venezuela, and the Bermuda Islands.

Suitable "crabitat"This species is commonly sold in the United States as a pet. The last of its common names is due to the distinctive purple claw. In captivity they can live to be over 30 years old (and over 40 years in exceptional cases).

Caribbean hermit crabs are omnivorous scavengers who live in colonies of 100 or more in inland areas, and who like to hide in caves or the roots of a tree. They prefer a relative humidity level between 70% and 78%, and a temperature of 24°C (75°F).

Hermit Crabs 180px-11
Hermit Crabs Hermit11

Quote :
Diet
Caribbean hermit crabs are both herbivorous and scavengers. In the wild, land hermit crabs feed off of coconut trees, left overs from humans, and dead organisms, such as fish and other crabs. Hermit crabs are able to bury their food in the sand to consume later, but other crabs may find them and consume it themselves. In captivity, land hermit crabs can be fed commercial foods that come in many varieties. Hermit crabs may also eat treats that include vegetables such as coconuts, mangos, papayas, apples, bananas, carrots, or spinach.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toxicwars.com
Dolphy
I am your
I am your
Dolphy

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Hermit Crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hermit Crabs   Hermit Crabs Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 10:58 am

I have had hermit crabs as pets when I was a kid. They are kind of interesting. I enjoyed them and it was kind of neat to watch them change shells too. This is another type of pet that is good for kids for starters.
Back to top Go down
skatss
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Hermit Crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hermit Crabs   Hermit Crabs Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 1:11 pm

I had no idea they could live for so long! I would consider having a crab for a pet. I think they would be interesting to watch.
Back to top Go down
shruti
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Hermit Crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hermit Crabs   Hermit Crabs Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 9:28 am

Thats great and thanks for the information.
Back to top Go down
Simplyme
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Hermit Crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hermit Crabs   Hermit Crabs Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 5:06 am

I wonder what one would get out of having a hermit crab for a pet? Though I imagine there are many "pets" that this could be said about. I would think they would make a good addition to a tank but not really as a personal pet.
Back to top Go down
sanju123
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Hermit Crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hermit Crabs   Hermit Crabs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 12:16 pm

There are s many species of hermit crabs but most of them prefer staying in salty sea waters and I think keeping them in different conditions will not be very good for them There is interesting fact as to why are they called hermit crabs....the idea comes from a hermit that stays all alone in a cave, so does this creature in its shell.
Back to top Go down
Brandbla8
I am a
I am a
Brandbla8

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Hermit Crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hermit Crabs   Hermit Crabs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 1:02 pm

My cousin had a hermit crab one time. I don't mind them and am really interested in their surrounding. I like to learn about how all living creatures lives and eat.
Back to top Go down
KrisNY
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Hermit Crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hermit Crabs   Hermit Crabs Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 8:45 am

My daughter loves hermit crabs. I can't figure it out either. They are quite boring. One of the crabs we had changed shells every once in a while. Never saw it though- Seemed to do it at night when we were sleeping. The last crab she had never changed shells.

Right now we don't have any hermit crabs. We did look for crabs when we went to the beach in the summer.
Back to top Go down
antkmom
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Hermit Crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hermit Crabs   Hermit Crabs Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 9:46 am

Every year when we go to the beach my kids want to bring hermit crabs home for a pet. They are very cool to watch and easy to take care of. They would be a great starter pet for a child.
Back to top Go down
jamesb
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Hermit Crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hermit Crabs   Hermit Crabs Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 11:30 am

That is a pretty unusual pet to have. I didn't even know that some people has crabs as pets.
Back to top Go down
Tigger
I am a
I am a

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Hermit Crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hermit Crabs   Hermit Crabs Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 4:41 pm

I like Hermit crabs. Even though one of them did pinch me pretty hard when I was a kid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hermit Crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hermit Crabs   Hermit Crabs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hermit Crabs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Goofy Newfies & Friends :: Pets :: Squishy Friends-
Jump to: